Author Topic: Karpen Sideboard Value  (Read 2529 times)

julann1217

• View Profile
Karpen Sideboard Value
« on: November 27, 2016, 08:04:47 pm »
I was about to list my great-grandmother's sideboard online when I looked inside and saw that it's an authentic Karpen. Karpen pieces seem to hold their value and, those I've seen online, are selling for quite a bit. Can anybody assist me with an estimated value on this beautiful piece? Thank you SO much!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Re: Karpen Sideboard Value
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 01:55:15 am »
Yes, Karpen still seems to have some cache. In the midwestern U.S., it looks as if owners are asking $800-$1000 for a piece like this. I don't know if they're getting it, though.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 07:12:37 am by ghopper1924 »
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

Ipcress

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 06:56:13 am »
Really ?! That's a few times more than what it's equivalent would fetch over here in the UK

Mid 20th century teak has been the trend for a few years and is still going strong.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 07:06:03 am »
Some pieces I have seen listed are unrealistic for todays economy !!  Ghoppers price sounds about right for most areas of the country.  Karpen furniture is good quality but more important than who made it is ,,will it work in todays homes and with todays styles !!  Your buffet/sideboard is likely mid century and is more easily blended with most styles !!  Could also work as  a stand alone piece !!  I would price it at $1200. to $1500. and that would give you some wiggle room !!  Buyers like to deal and haggle !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 07:12:15 am »
Some pieces I have seen listed are unrealistic for todays economy !!  Ghoppers price sounds about right for most areas of the country.  Karpen furniture is good quality but more important than who made it is ,,will it work in todays homes and with todays styles !!  Your buffet/sideboard is likely mid century and is more easily blended with most styles !!  Could also work as  a stand alone piece !!  I would price it at $1200. to $1500. and that would give you some wiggle room !!  Buyers like to deal and haggle !!

Yep. Thanks Mart!

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 07:41:32 am »
Good morning Ghopper !!  Hey when I was checking ebay on this there was  a chair listed as Karpen or Horner,, did you notice it ??  Take a look and  see what you think !!  Victorian is your area !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 08:21:38 am »
Lots of Karpen chairs on E-Bay. I take it that this is the one to which you're referring?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FABULOUS-carved-head-antique-vintage-lion-claw-foot-arm-chair-Karpen-or-Horner-/291953557206?hash=item43f9c9bed6:g:aB8AAOSwux5YOFeb

Looks like 1890s Renaissance Revival. Both Karpen and Horner were pretty good about labeling their work. Since this seller has a question mark after the two names, I take it that they couldn't find a label. That said, I don't have a problem with calling it either one. I'm kind of leaning toward Karpen, because of the hand rails. The carving looks a little more like Horner. The chair is in Florida, and alot of northeastern furniture found its way there as people retired. Horner was in New York and Karpen was in Chicago. If we're going by geography, it's more likely a Horner chair that found it's way south.

Either way, it's an amazing chair. The price is off the hook, though. They'll have to come waaaaay down if they want to sell it. I've seen Meeks and Belter chairs (earlier, I know) going cheaper than that!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 08:25:06 am by ghopper1924 »

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 10:47:43 am »
Yes thats the one !!  I was saying the same thing,, but then I found this !!

http://www.terapeak.com/worth/circa-1900-karpen-figurally-carved-side-chair-winged-griffins-and-maidens/151801430731/

Horner was not known for using that type of  carving,,I mean the frogs and faces !!  And the scroll arms and paw feet are in the Empire revival style !! Both were working at that time 1880 to 1920 !! I just think its a learning experience to figure out who really made some of these pieces !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2016, 11:02:47 am »
Yes, it looks like it could be the same manufacturer!

Horner was known for his/their griffins, but I've seen many different and unusual figures on lesser known pieces.

Without a label of some kind it's almost impossible to be definitive. For all we know it could be another maker completely; I recently saw a dining room set that could easily have been Horner, but the label said Johnston. Who knows?

Nevertheless, you make a good case. All I know is, I'd be happy to own a Karpen chair with accomplished carving like that, but not for 3K!!

-Broderick Crawford

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2016, 11:12:58 am »
Nevertheless, you make a good case. All I know is, I'd be happy to own a Karpen chair with accomplished carving like that, but not for 3K!!

Ditto what you said!

Back to the sideboard in question, that would sell for $800 to $1200 in my area depending on condition.  Like the others said it is a piece that can transition well with many styles of today.  Best of luck on your sale.  Let us know what you get for it!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

julann1217

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2016, 09:44:40 pm »
Thank you all SO much for your replies. Thank goodness I didn't let hubby try to sell it for $40! I'll keep you posted.  :)

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2016, 04:28:58 am »
lol, i'd say hubby just wanted it outa the house!