Author Topic: 1963 Western Union Telegram - Harlem Globetrotters  (Read 2211 times)

JosepHenry

• View Profile
1963 Western Union Telegram - Harlem Globetrotters
« on: May 02, 2012, 09:09:37 pm »
While at an used book store last weekend I was flipping through the pages of Charles Darwin's book The Origin of Species and I found this 1963 telegram tucked inside.  I know its not always good to assume but Im going to do it anyways and assume it was sent by the Harlem Globetrotters.  What do you guys think?  Does it have any value to it at all? The "G" in the word "leaving" was already like that.  I guessing they tried to correct the typo after it places on paper?

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: 1963 Western Union Telegram - Harlem Globetrotters
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 10:19:42 pm »
Wow that is a neat thing to find in a book! I would think that would be collectable. Looking at the collectables section of Ebay the ones that chronical the delivery of news of a historic event can be worth a lot of money. However I think you could probably expect the value to be about the same as a celebrity telegram. I saw a Jack Benny telegram selling for $50 which seems like an even comparison to me- Anyone else have an opion on this? It's a little tough since these are one-of-a-kind and yet not in the person's own hand.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 07:40:49 pm »
There is a Donald J Hoodecheck that resides in St Joseph Minnesota. He is in his mid 70s. He may be the same as the person with the same name who graduated from Notre Dame in 1955 and was a professor emeritus of education in St Benedict in Minnesota who retired in 2011. St Joseph is about 100 miles from Mankato, It is odd that is says St Josephs Hospital on the telegram. The only St Joseph Hospital I could find is in St Paul. I only had a few minutes to research this. His last known address was on 5th Ave in St Joseph. Give him a call and he might be able to put the pieces together for you.
A phone number also comes up on the search but it is not for me to post someones number or complete address on line.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 07:53:52 pm by frogpatch »

Glover60

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2022, 03:04:03 am »
In 1963 a Western Union telegram was sent from New York City to San Francisco that read simply: "I'm okay." The message was sent in the midst of the Cuban Missile Crisis and it served as a reassuring message to friends and family that the sender was safe.  The telegram is now on display at the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of American History.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 01:38:29 pm by KC »

kopawi5854

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2022, 01:36:51 am »
The 1963 Western Union Telegram, also known as the Harlem Globetrotters Telegram, was a telegram sent on April 26th, 1963 by the Harlem Globetrotters to Claridge Bank in New York City. The sender's name was "Mr. White". The telegram read huff post: "We have not forgotten about you at all. We are interested only in a bonus equal to 15% of your payroll if we play our cards right."

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2022, 09:52:00 pm »
I would have tucked it right back into the book and headed straight for the cash register, I hope you did!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

nasrosteela

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2023, 09:14:23 pm »
 I was just given a few minutes to look into this matter. St. Joseph's Fifth Avenue was the location of his final known residence. Call him up, and he may be able to help you fit all the parts together in the right order.
https://www.antique-shop.com/forums/color by number