Author Topic: Vintage/Antique? Presidential Paper Document w/ Leather Pouch (Estate Find)  (Read 1920 times)

valhom

• View Profile
Posting for a friend. He found this while cleaning out a house, estate. Came inside a very worn leather pouch. Does this seem legit? Or is it just a copy? May need to be looked at in person. But. I was wondering if anyone ever came across something like this before. Thank you.

valhom

• View Profile
Here are some close up pics.

Rauville

• View Profile
From here, it looks good to me. Appears to have been prepared and signed by his eldest son Abraham, who was acting as his secretary.
Compare with this one: http://www.historyforsale.com/abraham-van-buren-land-grant-signed-03-16-1837/dc32360

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
This is an interesting article for you to read about "the legally forged president's signature"!

We have seen only a few of these on here over the years.

https://scrc1.wordpress.com/2010/12/10/when-the-president-signed-every-land-grant/
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
Looks good to me too !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
I might add...a wonderful piece of history that looks well preserved!

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Wow ... that is REALLY cool! I think this is definitely worth having someone take a  hands on look at it.  Looking forward to hearing more about it! What a great find!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Tanya

• View Profile
Posting for a friend. He found this while cleaning out a house, estate. Came inside a very worn leather pouch. Does this seem legit? Or is it just a copy? May need to be looked at in person. But. I was wondering if anyone ever came across something like this before. Thank you.

Looks totally authentic to me.  I imagine that the ground might also be parchment and not paper as there is no decay and paper that old having been folded would more than likely show some disintegration.