Author Topic: Yellow/Green Clear Glass Divided Dish & Lid w/ Fleur De Lis Handle..Fostoria?  (Read 2939 times)

valhom

• View Profile
Picked this up at a local thrift store. I found mostly "Fostoria" divided dishes with the Fleur De Lis handles when searching online on sites like Etsy, etc. Is it easy to tell if a glass piece is Fostoria or not? Were they marked? My piece has no marks. Thank you!

mart

• View Profile
Have you checked it with a black light ??  Looks like 1960`s avocado green serving piece !!

Rauville

• View Profile
Does the bottom side have a ground / polished rim?

mart

• View Profile
Darn it !!  I am falling down on my job !!  I forgot to ask to see the bottom !!   ;D

SophieMarie

• View Profile
This appears to be your Fostoria 3-sectioned candy dish, but in pink:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fostoria-Rose-Pink-Candy-Box-and-Cover-Fleur-De-Lis-Handle/112125679542?hash=item1a1b3617b6:g:Z6gAAOSw8oFX0GYj

In answer to your question, the item will not be marked.

The most typical color of uranium glass is pale yellowish-green, which in the 1920s led to the nickname vaseline glass based on a perceived resemblance to the appearance of petroleum jelly as formulated and commercially sold at that time. Specialized collectors still define vaseline glass as transparent or semi-transparent uranium glass in this specific color.

Vaseline glass is now used as a synonym for any uranium glass, especially in the United States, but this usage is not universal. The term is sometimes carelessly applied to other types of glass based on certain aspects of their superficial appearance in normal light, regardless of actual uranium content which requires a blacklight test to verify the characteristic green fluorescence.

And, in the event that your would like to read more:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranium_glass

Pelady

• View Profile
I am afraid Depression Glass has really dropped in price. People can ask almost anything but if you look at sold results.  Lucky to get $10 to $25 dollars for a covered candy dish.  If you paid a few dollars there is still a profit in it.

Plymouth, America's Home Town.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Pelady, I am so sorry to see the prices drop on these items too!  :(
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

valhom

• View Profile
Thank you everyone. I will get a hold of a black-light soon to test for uranium glass.

SophieMarie

• View Profile
Yes, please do....I'm a bit of a glass collector even though the prices aren't what they use to be.  I still love it!

valhom

• View Profile
It is indeed uranium glass.

SophieMarie

• View Profile
Woo Hoo!  Thanks for the update....

mart

• View Profile
Add a bit to the value !!

valhom

• View Profile
Thanks guys!

valhom

• View Profile
Since it's uranium glass. Is it Fostoria? or is that still hard to tell for sure? Thanks.

mart

• View Profile
That would go to the pattern not the type of glass !!  Fostoria did make items from uranium glass so if the pattern is correct for Fostoria then thats what it is !!  They produced many items from glass with uranium oxide added !!