Author Topic: 1948 Frigidaire Stove/Oven Combo  (Read 6490 times)

sarabugstar

• View Profile
1948 Frigidaire Stove/Oven Combo
« on: April 09, 2003, 04:47:16 pm »
Hi...I cook everyday on a 1948 Frigidaire electric stove...It has 2 ovens, 1 large burner, 2 smaller burners, and a dropin steam pot (I have no idea what this is really called!)... It came with the old house I live in, and looks to weigh about a ton...

I was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere to buy parts for this, as one of the ovens, one of the small burners, and the dropin have not worked since I started using it. Also, I was wondering what it would be worth? A local repairman has offered to rewire it, but I've been told that may not be a good idea...

It's in unbelievable condition..the white enamel isn't chipped in a spot, it cooks evenly, the oven light even works (in the side that the oven itself works).. Every meal I cook, I think of my grandmother! Please feel free to email me directly, as I rarely get enough time to do more than check email every couple of days!

Sara

cogar

• View Profile
Re: 1948 Frigidaire Stove/Oven Combo
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 05:54:38 am »
as one of the ovens, one of the small burners, and the dropin have not worked since I started using it

sarabugstar, first I would like to say that ….. me thinks that “dropin” thingy you speak of is the “original” version of the more modern counter-top Crock Pot.

And secondly, you need to call an appliance repairman to check-out the cause of your stove’s problems before you even think about looking for “replacement” parts.

Non-working electric stoves are usually due to one (1) or more of three (3) problems, in order of frequency:

1. the “temp” thermostat (ON/OFF knob) controlling the burner (heating element) is bad, broke or kaput and needs replaced.

2. the burner (heating element) itself is bad and needs replaced.

3. the electrical (wire) connection on the burner (heating element) has “burned-off” and needs re-connected.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 06:36:11 am »
Cogar,, that post was from 2003 !!  The remark about losing weight bumped it up for today !! 

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 11:16:20 am »
Well "DUH", ..... dummy me.  :-[ :-[  I think I need to start observing "posting dates".

Thanks Mart

I can only hope that a current viewer or two ..... found my posted comments useful. ::) ::)

SophieMarie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 12:55:17 pm »
Well "DUH", ..... dummy me.  :-[ :-[  I think I need to start observing "posting dates".

Thanks Mart

I can only hope that a current viewer or two ..... found my posted comments useful. ::) ::)

I always find your posts useful sir!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 04:40:28 pm »
The site "heckler" revived an old post. 

We had one similar to this in the family cabin and the "thingy" is called the Deep Well Stove Element/Cooker.

They originally came with a pot that would fit inside in order to cook soups, use for canning, etc.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

dontbe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.antique-shop.com
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 07:07:54 pm »
15 year old posts.... lol.
Gotta' love that we have a history!
Go to My Webpage
to talk about antiques and check on upcoming antique related events

dontbe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.antique-shop.com
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 07:10:09 pm »
I have removed the non useful "heckle". And have asked Blaecleah not to do that.
Go to My Webpage
to talk about antiques and check on upcoming antique related events

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 08:52:20 pm »
Oh but it stirred up memories !!  My mother had one like that !!  The well was  for the bean pot !!  Or chicken & dumplings or stew !!  Wish I had a stove like that,,they never wore out !!  Just replace the burners and keep cooking`!!
Currently I have a glass top that the thermostat has already gone out on the two front burners !!  And its a pretty new one,,about three years old !!  Hate that thing !! (note to self,, never let hubby buy appliances)  Price does not indicate quality !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 11:38:48 pm »
Agree Mart.  And the glass tops scratch soooo easily - grrrrrr.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 06:01:21 am »
Oh but it stirred up memories !!  My mother had one like that !! 

So did my mother, ....... that's why I knew what it was.

My mother was a "Texas cook" that lived her whole life in central West Virginia.

She cooked bout everything well, well, WELL done.

She would place a beautiful "beef roast" into that Deep Well Cooker and slooooow cook it until it literally fell apart into what I called "stringy beef" that was tuff to chew up.

The left-over "broth" was flavor'able but the beef wasn't.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 07:45:50 am »
Over cooking must have been a communicable disease !!  Mother and grandmother both had it !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 10:37:52 pm »
Wow.  I have been spoiled rotten.  Came from a large family and long line of great cooks!  My hubby discovered food was a whole nutha' experience when he married into my family!