Author Topic: Your Favorites Acquisitions for 2018!  (Read 11575 times)

Rauville

• View Profile
Re: Your Favorites Acquisitions for 2018!
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2019, 10:29:04 am »
Amazing that your table survived as well as it did over the centuries.

(Speaking of your frustration with old software: I don't like the "improved" MAD print edition, so newer isn't always the best in my unasked for opinion. :-\)

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2019, 10:33:23 am »
I only get the internet version of MAD, I was never a big fan of the print edition, it would get ink all over everything! have to wash my hands after reading it. I switched as soon as internet version became available.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 10:35:03 am by jacon4 »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2019, 09:59:34 am »
The table arrived today, the top is highly figured walnut, old growth timber and 1-1/4" thick, it's heavy & removable (thank god) . Although not original it does look good, great in fact & much better than the Sotheby photo. The drawer is original and SIDE HUNG! with a single dovetail joining the maple drawer front, drawer sides are 1"+ thick & nailed at the back and bottom with hand forged iron rose head nails. The turned feet/ legs & aprons are original & hard maple, the 8 corner "brackets" and 4 "finials"/drops are probably not original. All in all, it's a really cool table & rare, there are only 20 of these early hi-lo stretcher tables extant in America and only 4 or 5 with a side hung drawer. Add in the pedigree/provenance and the fact that i stole it, I SCORED!

The table is gorgeous and it is BIG!!!!  Expected it to be more the size of an entry table!  The top is gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2019, 10:36:45 am »
Yeah it is BIG, could be a reason so few have survived? I wasn't thinking about that at all, i saw the form, then the provenance and BAM! I was on it! And just hoping the snobs in NYC would ignore it, which they did!  :) :) :)