Author Topic: Kalaga sequin tapestry with two white elephants pulling chariot of royal?  (Read 1029 times)

skarno

• View Profile
I picked this tapestry up 30 years ago and have appreciated it ever since. It came with a tag on it saying it was from Thailand, but I did not learn anything about where it came from when I purchased it in Winona, Minnesota. I have tried to look up similar tapestries and have learned that while it says Thailand, it probably was made in Burma/Myanmar and sold in Thailand. I have found online pictures of tapestries with some of the same details, but I have not found one that is a look-a-like. This, to me, appears to have more sequins and more detail. I do believe the two elephants would be considered white sacred elephants, but I am unsure if the rider in the chariot would be a royal (the headgear seems different). I do live close enough to Minneapolis/St. Paul if there would be any experts who could look at it in person. If anyone here could provide me with any suggestions, advice, or contacts for determining a value of this and selling this, I would appreciate it. Dimensions of tapestry are 33" x 60".

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Wish I could help but you already know that it is Kalaga Burmese tapestry.  Yours is backed (while so many of them were not). 

Hopefully someone will chime in.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
https://www.etsy.com/market/burmese_tapestry

Seems the white elephants are the most common design !!  Scroll through these and it should  give you an idea of value !!  Just go by similar size and decoration !!