Author Topic: Mammoth ivory carvings from Alaska?  (Read 1978 times)

MikeB

• View Profile
Mammoth ivory carvings from Alaska?
« on: April 08, 2020, 01:49:00 pm »
Hi again,

You guys are great! It's neat finding out what some fo the things are that I have seen kicking around for my life.

These little carvings my father had told me my grandfather had gotten up in Alaska during his time there. He had gone up during the gold rush. Of course his or my memory could be wrong and they could theoretically be from anywhere but that is my recollection.

The crib board is damaged sadly the piece where the pegs should go got broken off not that long ago, the picture doesnt' show it well but to me it's a skrimshaw walrus tusk, don't know any more than that. The other item with it was with the carvings and says china on the bottom; I am assuming it to just be a cheap trinket but the rest I think is legit.

Any info/thoughts would be appreciated, thanks!

mart

• View Profile
Re: Mammoth ivory carvings from Alaska?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 04:25:47 am »
From what I see just tourist items !  Forget what the little cup is called !!  Some were walrus tusks but this appears to be wood !!

MikeB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 12:39:47 pm »
Thanks Mart,

The cup is metal actually.

The little forks are plastic now that I really look at them, rest is bone/tusk material.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 07:10:45 pm »
Get everyone`s take on the items !!  Alaska is not my favorite place,, its cold up there !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 12:08:14 am »
I think Mart's right, that these are tourist items. Do you have dates for when your grandfather was there? I suspect these items may be newer, but I'm no expert.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

MikeB

• View Profile

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2020, 07:57:54 am »
When was your grandfather born ??

MikeB

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2020, 08:51:49 am »
I should correct what I had origionally said to my great-grandfather not grandfather. My father was named Henry, His father was Max and his father was Henry. I am not sure on the date of his birth, not even sure where I would find out that information but with the Boas tailor shop there being part of the Skagway museum I should be able to find out. I'll see if I can search it out.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2020, 03:53:17 pm »
Great grandfather may be right but grandfather would be unlikely,, However thats not to say that grandfather could not have been there   but very young !!  As it looks,, these items were made in the mid to late 20th century !!  And yes I know family stories tend to be inaccurate !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2020, 05:58:44 pm »
If this is true scrimshaw it is VERY collectible!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2020, 11:04:05 pm »
I believe that your other items are celluloid.  Celluloid appetizer/hors d'oeuvres picks. Also the pick, hatchet/tomahawk, hammer look like children's toys.  The cup as well looks like it is for a child. 

The one tusk looks like a cribbage board game that I have seen made on tusks - walrus?  I would take a look at "Inuit Scrimshaw Walrus Tusk Cribbage Board".  (Inuit are indigenous peoples of Alaska, Canada and Greenland.

Also, the carved pieces, Otter or Bear? and rabbit?  I would look at carved Inuit tusk, ivory.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 11:20:52 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2020, 05:29:02 am »
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/487444359656720910/

This is where I think those carved  animals came from !!