Author Topic: Mystery Sewing Cabinet?  (Read 2269 times)

Omega Entity

• View Profile
Mystery Sewing Cabinet?
« on: June 28, 2020, 07:33:46 pm »
So my mother picked up an old piece of furniture that looks like a sewing cabinet, but I can't find anything like it in a Google search. Does anyone know what this it? It looks like it might have had a manufacturer sticker at some point, but it might actually be homemade.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Mystery Sewing Cabinet?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 01:57:58 pm »
Actually I have seen a similar one but its been a long time !  It is not a sewing machine cabinet and is not designed to hold items needed for sewing  !  You would have to be able to get your knees under it for that !  If I remember correctly it was for knitting  or something similar !  Its not particularly old !  The sides I think held skeins of yarn !  Whatever you were working on could be stashed in the middle compartment,,,yarn and everything !

Omega Entity

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 05:27:11 pm »
When I googled 'yarn hutch' or 'knitting hutch', all that came up were either things that looked nothing like it and Starsky and Hutch sweater knitting patterns  ;D ;D ;D

When I looked up 'knitting cabinet' and 'sewing cabinet', the Martha Washington-style ones popped up - very similar, but I couldn't find any with a dropped middle like Mom's has.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 04:51:51 am »
A Martha Washington-style would infer a late 1700’s style and a “decorator” piece made by an expert cabinetmaker.

Your cabinet is surely early to mid 1900’s and a “utility” piece.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 05:58:22 am »
I'd think ca. 1960.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 11:29:36 am »
I think that time era is about right !  I can`t remember where I saw this cabinet,, may have been pposted here at some time !!  It was never listed as having a particular purpose !!  But that was the consensus of people who  saw it !!  Skeins of yarn are about 12 inches long and could have been stood up lengthwise so color could be seen at a glance !  And for those that do not knit or crochet,, your projects can really take up room !!  Think afgan or knitted sweater !  Could have been folded and stored in  the center compartment with tools and yarn !!  Just shut the top and all is hidden away !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 10:48:18 pm »
I do believe it is a 1900's Sewing Table - but Sewing Tables were made to hold sewing items (knitting, embroidery, crochet - not sewing machines. 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2020, 05:23:08 am »
On a more critical observation of the posted item:

1) It appears to be mostly constructed of plywood
2) The American Eagle emblem infers post-1950’s origin
3) All 3 storage compartments have hinged lids that “open” upwards that prohibits access if anything is placed on the top of it unless items first removed.

It’s my opinion it was probably made as a “project” in a High School “woodworking” class.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2020, 03:44:45 pm »
The dropped front has no bearing on the items use !! But it would keep items from rolling around into places hard to reach if you were working on a project !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2020, 04:34:00 pm »
Mart, what are you referring to as being a "dropped front"?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2020, 06:14:37 pm »
Just enlarge the first pic Cogar !  Should have called it the same as the person that posted it !  Dropped middle !!  But that is just a design element although it could be helpful !  With a flat top should something roll off you have to put work down and walk  to the backside to find it !  I have lost a few spools of thread that way !  Same with knitting needles or crochet hooks !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2020, 05:13:56 am »
Mart, your per se "dropped front" or “dropped middle” …… is nothing more than …. “door stops”, ...... because the door hinges were installed on the top surface of all 3 doors (lids).

The hinges should have been (hidden) installed in the edges/bottoms of all 3 doors (lids). ;D ;D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2020, 09:26:38 pm »
Cogar...the more I look at the piece, enlarged, I think it is a mix of pieces put together.  The outer barrel areas don't match the inside piece in construction.  The bottom part looks like it was a end table with the other parts added.  Could well be a homemade  reconstruction piece.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2020, 05:54:16 am »
KC, great observation, …… I think you are correct.

YUP, the bottom was originally an end/coffee table. The legs are not sturdy enough to support the top addition.