Author Topic: Antique bench. It's origins ?  (Read 5274 times)

mart

• View Profile
Re: Antique bench. It's origins ?
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2021, 05:38:51 pm »
On the left there is a chest with another on top !  It is not part of the chest its sitting on !  What is it ?

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2021, 05:47:46 pm »
This the first auction I've seen where they are charging an "Overhead Premium",

I have heard of it, not exactly sure what that is. I have been paying an extra 3% if you use a credit/debit card though at some auctions.

On the left there is a chest with another on top !  It is not part of the chest its sitting on !  What is it ?

A ditty/personal box or commonly & incorrectly referred to as a "bible box".

« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 05:57:54 pm by jacon4 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2021, 03:43:14 pm »
Thats what I thought it was !  I like it better than the bed  warmer !  Can`t see details though !

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2021, 10:27:56 am »
Yeah, me too, the bed warmer is nice I am sure but doesn't do much for me either.
The dealer I was quoting that viewed this collection was lamenting the fact that very little of the collection is from New England, it's mostly objects from the Delaware River Valley ( parts of 4 or 5 states) which makes sense because that's where the DuPont family is from.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 10:58:01 am by jacon4 »

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2021, 10:44:28 am »
A quick glance at the map tells the tale, Philadelphia is the center of this area because in 1700 America, that's where the people were!
Many NE dealers shy away from PA objects because there are many dealers in PA who specialize in only PA objects and many of these dealers are heavy hitters like Philip Bradley, Old Hope Antiques, etc.
My hope is to slide in between these 2 groups and carry off a prize of my own. :)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2021, 02:12:17 pm »
Here's hoping you are invisible to them and snatch something up!  :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2021, 02:38:40 pm »
Yep, that's the plan, invisible, it may not work with this collection though.
 By the time this sale rolls around this Jan, every person on the planet who can read will be aware of it. Another factor is, Lisa Minardi has a book in the works on this collection and had been visiting along with photographer Gavin Ashworth, at his farm Rocky Hill. It would not surprise me if this book hits the stores this fall.

"Most of the photography was completed at Rocky Hill, but Minardi must track down pieces that left the collection for other prestigious assemblages."
 . . "Minardi, now executive director of Historic Trappe, had been du Pont’s curatorial advisor for many years.
 “I first met Bill in 2004, when I started in the Winterthur M.A. program." “Unbeknownst to me when I first met him, Bill had long been planning to do a book on his collection. In 2008 he shared this idea with me—then he stunned me when he said that he wanted me to write it! As a young Winterthur curator, I found it hard to believe that he really wanted me to be the author. But he was indeed serious and reminded me often about the project. Work finally got underway three years ago as Bill approached his eightieth birthday. Working together with photographer Gavin Ashworth, we set up a photo studio in Bill’s living room at Rocky Hill and got to work. While Gavin photographed, I dusted, measured, and took notes on hundreds of objects. Bill helped us move furniture in and out of the set, polished all of the silver, and along the way shared the most amazing stories from a lifetime of collecting. It was truly a team effort. The book is Bill’s legacy, and I very much hope to complete the project for him and for everyone in the Americana field.”
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 03:01:32 pm by jacon4 »

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2021, 02:56:20 pm »
My apologies to JJT for blowing up the thread on the Antique Bench, I blame Mart as she asked what I was up to!  :P

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2021, 03:41:40 pm »
Hey Jacon4,, this is the most conversation we have had in a while !  Keep it coming ,, I will take the blame !

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2021, 04:30:18 pm »
LOL, not really much going on here except hiding from the humidity! We are just entering HELL'S FRONT PORCH! weather here in the carolinas. It's semi-tropical here so for the next 6 weeks it's like a steam bath outside. How humid is it? It's so humid that even with central air I have to turn on a seperate whole-house dehumidifier that takes an additional 6 gallons of water out of the air per day all by itself.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2021, 05:08:49 pm »
Ha !  About the same here Jacon4 !  Miserable outside  !

jiani

• View Profile
    • 12 Zodiac Signs
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2021, 05:12:11 am »
The dealer told me it was purchased in Europe and believes it is of Italian Origin.

I absolutely agree with you.