Author Topic: American Rocking Chair  (Read 1303 times)

eirwal

• View Profile
American Rocking Chair
« on: September 07, 2023, 11:01:37 am »
Hello Everyone,I have acquired a rocking chair from a friend which I intend to  reupholster.  I wonder if anyone could identify its origins, The chair has four suspension springs between the base frame and the base in addition to the torsion springs on both sides, and it has large rubber stops  on the rear rails with felt pads  on the bottom of the rocker frame. I have attached some photos, my friends  confirms that it is over seventy years old,  I have looked on the internet and can not find the same design with the suspension springs, Is it possible it is a one off made to someone's requirements or is it a type of chair produced in quantity. I will be pleased to find out more information on my chair  

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Re: American Rocking Chair
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2023, 12:34:54 am »
Hi Eirwal:

This look like an 1890s walnut platform rocker. I don't know how many would have been produced, but this was not a one-off.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2023, 11:54:18 pm »
Totally agree with ghopper1924!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2023, 06:42:15 pm »
Agree. Look in the projects section, we have a couple of platform rockers that were restored.
Antiqueaholic in recovery