Author Topic: Antique glass bead purses  (Read 5023 times)

wendy177

• View Profile
Antique glass bead purses
« on: October 24, 2009, 06:15:33 am »
Photos of my glass bead purses, can not imagine the hours of labor that went into these!!!! This first purse the beads are so so tiny I have never seen such tiny beading the entire bag is made up of beads not just the roses and  the bags are so heavy due to the weight of the glass.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 06:24:00 am by wendy177 »

tendr

• View Profile
Re: Antique glass bead purses
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 04:01:21 pm »
Those are beautiful. I know they are alot of work. My cousin made me one two yrs ago "becuz i asked her to" and she didn't look very happy when she handed it to me LOL....

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 07:32:08 pm »
Those are really nice Wendy177.

It's really hard to choose a favorite out of this batch.

I think I would go blind trying to work with all those small glass beads, but the result of all that extensive labor is a pleasure to behold.

It's amazing the labor that went into these.Imagine what the cost would be if you had one made this way these days.

Are these from your Mom's collection in addition to the great ones you posted a while back?Quite a focused collection you have there.

On all these purses, do any of them have a tag on the inside showing the maker/artist?
Are there collectors you know of who specialize in these great art forms?

Really great to see one of these let alone all the ones you have posted.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 11:49:37 am »
Dean, these are HIGHLY collectible!  Even if there isn't a famous name attached they are collectible.  Of course, with a tag and name it is worth more! (With the exception of some well known artisans that their works are worth $$$$ without tags!)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 01:34:39 pm »
Beautiful! Amazing amount of detail!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 07:59:50 pm »
Yes Dean these are from my Mom's collection and when she liked something she was quite focused to say the least !!! (lol) They do not have any tags or makers marks but from my research many don't.  All of the silk  linings are also original and some are falling apart like paper. Yes I do know of many collectors who specialize in these beautiful pieces of a by gone era there is even an antique purse collectors society. Many can fetch very nice prices. A wonderful site is www.evelynspurses.c om  I would go blind to if I tried to make one and probably have bloody fingers also!!tendr  your cousin has the Patience of a saint to make you one!! Thank you to all who commented it is nice to know I am not crazy in my love of all this stuff. Found three more and will post photos as soon as I can.

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 10:28:24 pm »
Thanks for the info Wendy177.

The collector's society sounds interesting as well as the book listed on your link.

Sounds like they are fragile and probably didn't hold up against time too well unless they were really cared for.
The few old examples I've seen over the years at antique malls have all been falling apart and are nowhere near the condition of yours.
Seems as though your collection is pretty special in the condition aspect alone,let alone the awesome art.

Wonder if this collectors society knows of and is in contact with any of the artist who originally put these things together during the period? Must be a wealth of information that they would have and it would be a shame not to tap into it before it becomes too late.

Also, seems like many of these items are un-named/marked.
Can you tell from the style or artwork who made it and attribute it that way, almost like how a  painting is linked to it's artist?

IMO definitely not crazy being in love with  this beautiful craftmanship and art. Especially with the history tied in with your mom I'd say you'd be crazy not to love it.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 10:40:51 pm by Dean Perdue »

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 08:44:24 am »
Dean I agree the society must have a huge knowledge base and plan on joining just have not had the time with so many diffrent collections its hard to pin point only one to work on. Will let you know when I do and what I discover. I am by no means an expert on antique purses and have just been researching here & there when time allows. I'm sure an expert  in this field could tell from the art work & style where & maybe who the artist was. The linings I find are much more fragile than the beading itself as long as all threads are secure they seem to be very durable little buggers. I like my mother did, keep them wrapped separate form one another and in the main living space of my home (no basements or attics) I think this really helps. The history of my Mother collecting for years and  we used to do research together does make  every piece special but I really need to begin to let go of pieces and having a very hard time with that. With depression glass alone I have thousands of pieces and that's just one collection(very wonderful but overwhelming).

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 09:33:33 am »
Thank you for the honest answers Wendy177.

By the looks of your worthy purse collection I assumed you were deep into these and maybe this was your specialty and I had no idea you had so many other collections.

I find the more you learn on a particular collectible it usualy seems to make it a bit harder to let it go and I hear you on the having a difficult time letting go of things you collected over the years.

Every time I'm lucky enough to get something new, I always wonder about the lost personal history of the item that only the owner/owners knew about. Seems like the historical info can be found easy enough most of the time,but the personal info is a whole different matter and allot tougher to trace.Sometimes even impossible.

You see this fact time after time after someone passes on then the family liquidates personal belongings blowing them out at a yard/estate sale without having a clue as to where it came from or the story behind it.

I thought KC made an excellent suggestion on another thread to write down the history you know of your antique (personal & factual) and keep it with the item. It's really a pleasure finding items like this offered for sale but it seems like it is seldom the case even though it is next to free to do. These purses would seem like the ideal item to have this sort of thing included as it would be self containing.JMO
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 09:35:20 am by Dean Perdue »

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 10:31:10 am »
Dean I have studied and researched many diffrent collections but an expert in none as with so many not enough time in the day!! All of my collections were gifted to me through my mother's estate and while she was alive I was very involved  helping her with purchases & research. She was a wonderful and eclectic collector who bought from many auctions & estate sales all through Mass. & NH. ,ebay and she had a very good friend in England she purchased from (lots of Shelley china). I really should not have a problem selling things as this was always her intent she just loved the hunt so much more than the sale:) So basically only bought. I think missing her is clouding my judgment on selling but it is all boxed and not even being enjoyed:(  Needless to say my home is FULL. Some of her favorite pieces I will keep for myself and that is a great suggestion on KCs part to place the history with each piece. I will keep researching collections as I open boxes and find them, catalog and repack waiting for the market to get a little better. Some collections I think are neat I post here or if I am stuck on research. some of my collections China,dolls,purses,compacts,hallmark ornaments,Hummels,Jewelry,pottery,tobacco antiques,depression glass mostly green & pink,vasaline glass,Jadite,milk glass,and the list goes on.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 11:51:46 am »
Nice buncha , wendy177 .

I especially like the reticule bag .

Thanks for posting these .

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 01:01:11 pm »
In case you'uns don't know it....rj2 was getting fancy schmancy with his verbage....a reticule bag is a drawstring bag - FRENCH word origination!!!!!!!!

Thanks for expanding the sites' vocabulary rj2....you are a true sesquapadalian lover!  ;)  :O  :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 11:05:12 pm »
LOL x 3 , KC .

Whut ? I ain't never seena bigfoot!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2009, 12:22:01 pm »
Gotta say your profile pic really does you justice with your monkeying around!  LOLOLOL