Author Topic: Silver and Ivory(?) Egyptian/Arabic Broach - Strange Marking  (Read 1261 times)

fsujae

• View Profile
Silver and Ivory(?) Egyptian/Arabic Broach - Strange Marking
« on: December 27, 2011, 07:48:10 am »
Hi, I have an unusual broach which I would really like to be identified for my grandmother.

It has a continental Silver base with unusual markings on the reverse with a  Woman's cameo carved face, smooth (probably ivory) on top.

I took it to the local auctioneer who was unable to identify the markings/hallmarks but believed it to be very old and of Egyptian origin. 

Pictures:

thanks!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Silver and Ivory(?) Egyptian/Arabic Broach - Strange Marking
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 02:15:13 pm »
The setting is Egyptian and post-1940. The first symbol is a assay mark, the second the lotus flower which is the national symbol, third is an Arabic date letter. Here is the info: http://www.925-1000.com/foreign_marks.html Scroll down to Egypt on the left side of the page. That said, the question is if the face is an ancient, or early Egyptian artifact, or if it too is post-1940. Technically after 1983 antiquities over 100 years old are not permitted to leave the country and are the property of the Egyptian government:
http://www.cemml.colostate.edu/cultural/09476/laws10egyptenl.html That doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Additionally, Islamic art does not permit the imitation of the creativity of God, so drawing and sculpting the human image is forbidden (and while not directly outlawed it is frowned upon but put up with, as there are things like the sale of ancient pre-Islamic Egyptian gods to tourists and such.) That is why Islamic art uses religious texts as decorations.

The face I think will need to have a hands-on appraisal. It would likely be pre-Islamic if it is Egyptian. It could be, or it could not be. The later setting makes it hard to tell, but we can definitely date the setting.

I am guessing that the face is old, but my gut tells me that it may be something other than Egyptian, maybe Nubian or Syrian or something else, even though the setting is Egyptian. It just doesn't look Egyptian to me, although I could be wrong. It is lovely, unique and certainly intriguing!!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 02:21:57 pm by talesofthesevenseas »
Antiqueaholic in recovery

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 02:28:06 pm »
One additional note, a lot of the small villages survive by selling both real and fake artifacts to tourists. The fact that this has jeweler's hallmarks seems to inticate legitimacy, but it is just impossible without having it appraised in person to know if you've got something truly ancient in a vintage setting that was sold between 1940 and 1983, or a copy of something ancient in a vintage setting. I would start by asking Grandma what she knows about where it came from and go from there.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 01:40:53 pm »
Great information you provided Talesof!!!

Agree on the setting information.  Did the auctioneer believe it was ivory?  Shell?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 04:16:58 pm »
Alabaster is also common in Egypt.