Author Topic: Dorothy and the Wizard In Oz: yellow jacket.. No dorothy  (Read 1241 times)

abreck

Dorothy and the Wizard In Oz: yellow jacket.. No dorothy
« on: May 03, 2008, 10:55:54 am »
I have a question that I hope someone will be able to answer.

After failed google after google, I figured I would resort to forums.

The book is 'Dorothy and The Wizard In Oz"  Published by the Reilly & Lee Co.  I found it at a flea market for $20.  copyright 1908... since it is Reilly & Lee i assume it was printed around 1919.

All of the copies I have found online have a red background with a man and a little girl (I assume Dorothy and the Wizard).
The flea market also had this red background copy, though it was covered in crayon. 

The copy that I purchased is twice the size of the red background book and has no markings of any kind in or on it. Contains all pages.. no rips in the actual book.  It has a yellow background on the dust cover and only the wizard.. no dorothy.
It is the exact same image as the red background, the wizard stands in the same place on the cover... The only difference is dorothy is not in the picture. 

I have been unable to find this particular version anywhere on the net.   I have been able to find a picture of a yellow background.. but Dorothy WAS in the picture.  This has completely stumped me that the image I have is no where to be found on the net.

The only way i was able to find that particular image WITH Dorothy is with an image search in Google of "Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz"

Again the fact Dorothy is missing from the Cover and no images seem to exist on the Internet seems to have stumped my wife and I completely.  The wizard seems to be looking at, and smiling..... at no one.

I have attached a scanned image of the book I have.

I was hoping anyone here could enlighten me on some facts, or at least point me to someone who may be knowledgeable in this subject.
Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 11:02:43 am by abreck »

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: Dorothy and the Wizard In Oz: yellow jacket.. No dorothy
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 02:08:54 pm »
Can't place alot of faith in copy right's. this copy with out dorothy on the front cover. first started appearing in circa 1935