Author Topic: Antique Table and Chairs what era?  (Read 933 times)

agreeneyes

Antique Table and Chairs what era?
« on: May 26, 2008, 03:56:00 pm »
I purchased this table and chairs as a set about 15 years ago from an antique dealer, who said they came from an estate sale, for $750.00. I'm not sure it's a set but they were sold together. The chair seats were thrashed, originally they had red leather but it was in pieces just hanging on them with no seats.  I had seats made and covered these are not original seats,  everything else is.

I can't seem to locate any makers mark but they're beautifully, I believe, hand carved because there are irregularites in each chair, but I'm not the expert. Unfortunately two of the tops on the chairs have been broken off and two were replaced before I got this. also it was unfortunately chewed on on the bottom, I know all of this damage does have an affect on it's value. The iron bar underneath the table appears to have been hand forged because you can see the hammer marks, the screws that are used to secure it are square headed and appear to be older. The table top is 35 inches wide, 1 3/4 inches thick and  78 1/2 inches long that is in 5 long sections glued together. I've always wanted to know the age of this and possibly if it has any value. I discovered just now taking the pictures that one of the chairs is different from the others.  It appears to be a slight different color of wood and it doesn't have the detail at the bottom on each side of the legs, its detail is on the front only. This could have been ordered as a replacement.  Now I've found this website maybe I can finally find out some information on this table and chairs.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 04:16:33 pm by agreeneyes »