Author Topic: Is this a Vintage or Modern Fenton Carnival Glass Bowl?  (Read 2799 times)

KevinM

• View Profile
Is this a Vintage or Modern Fenton Carnival Glass Bowl?
« on: April 06, 2014, 12:44:53 pm »
I purchased this Fenton carnival glass bowl last week and was wondering if it was a vintage (made before 1940's) or a modern bowl.

I've read the Lion pattern was made in 1911 but I'm not sure when this bowl was made. It does not have any manufacturer marking on it other than the pattern of the bowl.

The Bowl Measures about 6 1/2 Inches in Diameter and under the bottom it looks like it's made of cobalt blue glass.

Does anyone know if this is a Vintage Fenton Bowl and when it might have been made?

Thanks!
Kevin

Dogaman

• View Profile
Re: Is this a Vintage or Modern Fenton Carnival Glass Bowl?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 02:27:06 pm »
Kevin,

Check out http://www.ddoty.com/lions.html and the hot link for the Fenton reproductions. The prices here are from legitimate auction houses. Ebay is not factored in, but sometimes mentioned if applicable.

Also, this site http://www.carnivalheaven.com/carnivalglass103/id76.htm has a listing of Makers' Marks to help you identify years of manufacturing.

You can also search "Fenton Lion Bowl" on Ebay and click the 'sold' radial button to the left once the results come up. This will give you an idea of what's been sold there.

I am not a professional; just giving you places to research and make your own decisions.

Personally, I like it!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 06:03:15 am by Dogaman »

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 03:49:14 pm »
Thanks Dogaman! That's a great link you provided! It looks like this is an early 1900's Fenton Bowl.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 03:54:32 pm by KevinM »

Dogaman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 04:10:49 pm »
Kevin,

Don't laugh too hard....I just got my first iphone so I can research items on that site while out hunting Carnival Glass.  I was cheated, not too badly but bad enough not to trust him, by a self proclaimed expert. Found out I had bought an IG reproduction of a Lustre Rose Bowl and not an original.

Bought a book, talked to people here and on Facebook...and finally came into the 21st century with the iphone.

Welcome to the colorful and crazy world of Carnival Glass!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 08:25:15 pm »
Kevin,

Don't laugh too hard....I just got my first iphone so I can research items on that site while out hunting Carnival Glass.  I was cheated, not too badly but bad enough not to trust him, by a self proclaimed expert. Found out I had bought an IG reproduction of a Lustre Rose Bowl and not an original.

Bought a book, talked to people here and on Facebook...and finally came into the 21st century with the iphone.

Welcome to the colorful and crazy world of Carnival Glass!

LOL !!  Wonderful isn`t it ??

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 09:11:48 pm »
Dogaman, I'm not laughing, I still don't have an Iphone. I just wing it and take a chance on low cost items I'm not sure about. It's a shame if there are people knowingly cheating people.

Dogaman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 06:04:03 am »
Mart,

The phone has netted me a couple of really smart buys. A Millersburg Blackberry Wreath Bowl and a Fenton Peacock and Urn bowl. Both shown below.

Kevin,

I've been where you are, and not too long ago. Ask the folks here! LOL  But I've taken the leap with the iphone because I got tired of hauling the books with me into these cramped stores.  Good luck finding those treasures! For us, its the hunt!