Author Topic: Help identifying: Candy dish with woman's hand on pedestal  (Read 811 times)

magnusonwolf

• View Profile
Help identifying: Candy dish with woman's hand on pedestal
« on: August 25, 2008, 06:17:37 pm »
We recently discovered a candy dish in my mother's cabinet that we would like to find out more about.

It is about 6" tall and maybe 8" in diameter.  The bowl portion of the dish is white. It is decorated with two separate groups of reddish pink roses (with stems) and lots of gold sponge painting.  There is a staggered row of diamond cuts near the edge of the bowl, with scallopping at the edge.

The pedestal portion of the piece is also white with gold sponging. A woman's hand, featuring bright red fingernails, grasps the pedestal as if she is holding it.

Unfortunately, the marking for the piece are gone because a 1" hole in the very center of the base is missing. (This is the only damage on the piece.)

Does anyone recognize this item?

In addition, I was wondering if anyone knows whether it is customary for manufacturers to connect the dish to the base using a cork and a screw.  This is how the two pieces of this candy dish are connected. (Could this just be an attempt by one of my relatives to fix a broken dish?) :-)

Thanks for your help!

Mariann - Minneapolis, MN