Author Topic: Antique lamp  (Read 1597 times)

Jackrabbit

Antique lamp
« on: November 02, 2008, 10:08:43 pm »
Hi!

My uncle recently purchased this lamp and we don't know much information about it at all, if anyone could provide any information on the maker, age, and/or value, it'd would be much appreciated! He was told it was bought in the 50s from the person he bought it from, and was apparently quite expensive even then.

railman44

• View Profile
Re: Antique lamp
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 03:26:49 am »
Is the shade glass?  Usually, quality lamps are signed on the shade and/or base but not always.  If the lamp is original, it's quite odd in that the shade is a modern motif/design but the base has a pull type chain and exhibits all the design characteristics of a much older lamp.  I've been interested in glass shaded lamps for a long time and have never seen one like that.  Sometimes signatures are difficult to find.  You might want to look again very carefully.  My guess is the lamp is European in origin but that's only a guess.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 10:52:16 am »
it certainly fit's the art's & craft's time frame. I suspect it's the work of Handel lamp co.but like anything else they have been faked forged etc.

Jackrabbit

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 08:24:37 pm »
The shade is glass, but there is definitely not a signature, railman.

D&b, I also suspected Handel based on the little research I did before posting here.

I hate that it's so difficult to find anything on the lamp, but I appreciate your input/suggestions.