Author Topic: antique mirror or not ( I was able to finally load my pictures )  (Read 2386 times)

agreeneyes

antique mirror or not ( I was able to finally load my pictures )
« on: November 25, 2008, 07:31:12 am »
I purchased this mirror at an auction it appears to be an antique. This was being sold along with a 1920's-1930's bedroom set I purchased and I was wondering is there an easy way to determine if it's old or a reproduction. The paper on the back is dry and  deteriorating and  the wire it's hung with appears to be old and it's heavy about 35 lbs. There's staining on the back on the cardboard backing it appears to have gotten wet at sometime. It's a wood gilt/gesso mirror beautifully carved with a wreath with berries and flowing ribbon at the top and flowers along the side top and frame itself is also beautifully carved. One of ends of the ribbon has broken off and there are a few cracks in the gesso.  It's still a beautiful mirror. it's approximately 36 in by 34 in to the top of the wreath.
It's dusty because this is how it was when I purchased it.  I'm not sure how to clean or dust it with out damaging it.
If this old how old is it and what would the value be, thank you
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 08:23:08 pm by agreeneyes »

Tim

• View Profile
Re: antique mirror or not?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 04:32:01 pm »

When in photobucket, you want to cut and paste the HTML Tag Line. Your pixels may be too large...........aga in, I dunno for sure............... .... 8)

agreeneyes

Re: antique mirror or not ( I was able to finally load my pictures )
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 08:27:28 pm »
I was finally able to load my pictures please take a look and mirror

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 09:34:36 am »
Not so much and Antique as it is vintage. nice none the less. $50.00 to $ 75.00 Dollars

agreeneyes

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 09:55:59 am »
When you say vintage is that about 1950's or is it earlier?    For something to be an antique does it have to be at least 100 years old?

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 11:01:57 am »
Antique for our purpose's is a 100 years in canada 50 years the mirror is 1940's.

agreeneyes

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 11:33:38 am »
thank you