Author Topic: Strange Box  (Read 2595 times)

OUAT

• View Profile
Strange Box
« on: September 25, 2008, 07:02:24 pm »
I have recently acquired this box.  It opens on all sides and has holes on the bottom.  Does anyone know what it was used for?  Thank you.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Box
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 09:39:37 pm »
Boxes similar to these were used to hold firewood in a decorative manner until used.  Not use if that is what this is for...sure looks like it
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 05:51:45 am »
Strange little fellow. Judging from the bottle, sponge and sink opening in the 2nd picture it looks to be about 16” wide, 14” high and 10" deep.

But now the holes in the “bottom” confuses me because the “bottom” is flat, no legs. Thus, if it was sitting flat on something the holes would serve no purpose.

Anyway, me thinks the “bottom” with the holes in it …….. is actually the back side of the box and the hinged “lid” is actually a hinged “door” which opens downwards …… and the hinged “back” is actually a hinged “lid” which opens towards the back. If so, then the holes in the back are for air circulation and the box might be for placing a hot, fresh baked loaf of bread in.   

Like maybe, to see what I mean, looking at 1st picture, flip the box ¼ turn backward.

But then, that might creates another problem. Looking again at 1st picture, the front overhang of the top would then protrude upwards and unless there was a “latch” or that door was tilted toward the box when closed ….. it would not stay closed.

But the lack of a latch or the tilt of the door ……. might not be the problem. Maybe whoever “refinished” the box …… just forgot which panel went where and re-installed them on the wrong side, …… making the lid the door, ….. and the door the lid.

But whatta I know, …. maybe the box is right as is ….. and there is a “missing base” which it is supposed to sit upon.

I love "what-is-its".

cheers

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 03:43:51 pm »
Duh!!!!!  I didn't notice the size until reply #2 pointed it out!  So...nix the firewood answer.  Too small for a bread box or hold veggies?!?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 04:29:41 pm »
May be part of, or what once was a lap desk, also known as writing slope or writing box.......dunno 8)

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 05:05:34 am »
Another thing I noticed is in pic #2. The panel in the foreground (actual bottom of box) is smaller than the top opening because the sides are tapered outward. Only when the sides of a box are tapered (leaning outward) like that can one see both end panels at the same time.

My guess now is it was built as a “speciality” storage box for say, ….. 1 or more microscopes or whatever.

A “speciality” well made box ….. because of the tapered sides and the “bread board” ends on the lid and door.

coachgary

• View Profile
    • Coach Gary's Resource Center for Personal Propert Appraisers & Antique Dealers
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 11:43:01 am »
I am thinking along the same line, but a salesman case. It's small enought and easy to open and display his goods.  Now, we know this, we still can't stop wondering what he sold. 
Gary Daw
AKA CoachGary
www.coachgary.com
Resource Center for Personal Property Appraisers & Antique Dealers