Author Topic: Mahogany partners desk  (Read 3652 times)

romeo

• View Profile
Mahogany partners desk
« on: December 24, 2008, 08:49:11 pm »
I have a desk I purchased five or so years ago and I was told it was antique. I would like to know if there is a way to tell if it is or is not an antique? thanks

railman44

• View Profile
Re: Mahogany partners desk
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 08:56:37 pm »
Little tough to tell without a picture or two...

romeo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 01:13:01 pm »
here are some pics hope these are helpful

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 01:38:03 pm »
Have you checked for any info on the back or insides of the drawers or drawer backs?  Also, does it look manufactured or handmade?  For example, tongue and groove drawers as opposed to ends that are nailed together will signify older items. Screw heads that are not machined and uniform are are telltale signs of an older piece of furniture and are much different than screws that you get today. Does it look "used" or older - most antiques are used - some are pristine if kept for collection purposes - if the finish even?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

romeo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 02:21:07 pm »
all the drawers are tongue and groove, cannot find any stamps or info on who made this desk, looks like all the corner detailing was done buy hand. However the handle hardware have threaded ends and the flat head screw top threads onto the handle inside the drawer. The sides of the drwaers look like they were routered by machine, but cannot be sure. I cannot find a similar desk anywhere online. However, the person I bought it from had it at an auction for 8000 bucks including the wingback leather chair. Are there any other suggestions?

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 02:28:26 pm »
Is it constructed from solid woods? Old or semi-new it appears to be a quality piece of furniture.  If it's solid wood, do you have any idea what type of wood?  I think what was meant was if the drawers are dovetailed.  If it's truly quality, it should be a very heavy item.  If possible, add a pic of the the total desk and the dovetailing of one of the drawers. 
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 02:33:36 pm by railman44 »

romeo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 03:50:20 pm »
This desk is in three seperate pieces and they are heavy as hell. I think the wood is mahogany. However if you look in the one pic there is a inch and a half piece of what looks like veneer around the edge of the top. Yes I mean dovetailing there is a pic now. Pics of the whole desk and the drawer.

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 04:39:02 pm »
          My guess is the dovetailing appears to be machined (it's very    uniform) and with the groove in the drawer side, it's probably post 1960.  This is only a guess mind you.  Nevertheless, it appears to be a quality desk that will appreciate in time.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 04:42:20 pm by railman44 »

romeo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 05:05:47 pm »
what do you think this desk is worth approx.? This chair came with the desk. Can you tell me anything about it, how old?approx. value?

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 04:51:08 pm »
It's done in a georgian style. about $ 2,500.00 to $ 3,000.00 Dollars.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 09:15:36 am »
it's a reproduction.the value included the chair.