Author Topic: Any lead crystal people out there?  (Read 1706 times)

railman44

• View Profile
Any lead crystal people out there?
« on: January 01, 2009, 05:01:39 pm »
Set of 4 leaded crystal glasses.  They are quite heavy and about 5" tall.  I've seen pitchers, decanters, ashtrays and lots of other leaded crystal but never drinking glasses.  I'm sure they're not real treasures but they've been in the wife's family for many years.  Are they at all rare and what should the insurance value be?  She's got a ton of leaded crystal and I'm clueless on how the market has held up especially since the "lead" scare.  What's the verdict?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Any lead crystal people out there?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 11:19:27 pm »
Typically the short lead glassware was made for alcoholic drinks (cordials, whiskey, brandy, etc.) and some were made for juices.  They are still used for the drinks.  The problem with lead crystal is that the longer alcohol/wine and acidic liquids/juices like OJ were stored in it, the acid would cause the lead to leach into the liquid in larger quantities than expected...thus giving the partaker more than they bargained for.  The more common lead glassware is stemmed glassware.  I am sorry I do not know your pattern maybe someone else can help with that.  They do still sell, but not a whole lot. 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: Any lead crystal people out there?
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 09:12:55 am »
the pattern can make the difference. try asking replacememts.com for and I.D. as to the lead I recall fiesta ware was discovered with traces of lead & that started the ball rolling.