Author Topic: King Louis XV Sideboard? (Pics)  (Read 1995 times)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
King Louis XV Sideboard? (Pics)
« on: January 05, 2009, 01:59:58 pm »
My favorite piece!  Friends who had it before had it over 50years.  From France. They said King XV made in 1890. No markings except import sticker that says 3 pieces and 10k.  (Knew them over 25 yrs - they collected from all around the world on their trips.)  The piece is 105x63x24. Walnut - original finish.  Handcrafted. Original Keys/hinges.  Dovetailed drawers with pegged stops.  Shelf system is notches on sides and top piece shelves has an addition small wooden slat that fits in the grooves then the shelf on it for added stability.  Bottom piece has a solid adjustable shelf that cannot be removed - was made into the piece. Others I have seen similar over the years - the "splitfront" is separated by legs - but this is unique in that is has 6 drawers - 3 each side.  So...does this look like King Louis XV or XVI?  Idea of value?  (I know i need to get it appraised but until then....) Comments, Questions?!?  Is the proper name for this a sideboard or buffet and is it considered a split front?  Thanks!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: King Louis XV Sideboard? (Pics)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 02:49:06 pm »
construction technique indicates earlier construction. may be circa 1860 or so. regard less it's in the style of louis the 16th $ 8,000 to $ 10,000.00 should be no trouble.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 05:32:35 pm »
Thank you so much...that is in the ballpark of what I was figuring and I also thought it was King Louis XVI after searching for months!  Do you know the correct/proper name for this - sideboard, split-front sideboard, hutch, vasselier or buffet deus corps, etc? 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 07:16:49 am »
Break front

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 11:05:23 am »
Thank you-Thank you for your expertise!