Author Topic: Oil Painting Mountain Scene (nothing marked that I can see)  (Read 1406 times)

AmyHeinritz

• View Profile
Oil Painting Mountain Scene (nothing marked that I can see)
« on: January 08, 2009, 11:44:23 am »
This was left to us again from my mother-in-law.  Most the important stuff she had in a bedroom that had belonged to her mother and grandmother.  Now I do know that her mother was a very big art lover and one of her favorites was William H. Bartlett because of the Owego New York connection.  Any information would be greatly appreciated as I don't have a clue.  It is a very large painting and all boarded up in the back.  Where can I look for a signature or how can I determine who painted this? 

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: Oil Painting Mountain Scene (nothing marked that I can see)
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 08:37:41 am »
this is a canvas Painting ? it may very well be a Barlett. he painted here in the state's for four years. mountains scene's etc

No oil painting's of his. have been discovered. ( signed) you may very well have a treasure.

AmyHeinritz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 10:21:48 am »
Thank you for that information and yes it is oil on canvas. Actually it would have belonged to my month--in-laws grandparents. He was very well known in Owego New York and owned a clothing store.  How would I find out? 

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 12:02:27 pm »
Hopefully a local museum curator would take a look. auction neer's as rule, are just not up too par in the art department.it's a 50 50 chance it's a Barlett.

when they do come up for auction. they are eagerly bought by museum's. the public rarely out bids them.

Auction record's for a barlett. just recently sold at. $35,000.00 dollars. with proper exposure I would'nt be surprised to see $50,000 Dollars.

You might try contacting. Christie's or sotheby's auction house ask for and appraisal.as a rule $300.00 Dollars & under they won't bother. if they agree to auction. you have something.