Author Topic: Help ID jug/pitcher  (Read 1750 times)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Help ID jug/pitcher
« on: January 24, 2009, 06:35:37 pm »
Found this in the cabin all wrapped up.  It appears very old.  Have searched all the marks and cannot find the maker.  In beautiful shape.  Gold filigree.   Cobalt paint in excellent condition.  Dimensions are 6 1/4" H x 7 1/4" W (w/o handle-n-spout and 8" w/handle-n-spout.

Tha mark appears to be a large T with China on the top line then E - OH under it.  3rd line says Hand Painted.  4th line says Nippon.  I know it was in the late 1890's to very early 1900 that this was obtained due to other items around it.  I know from other items on the net with this marking that is authentic Nippon and J Van Patten has it as 7 in her book (which I do not have and do not wish to buy just for this piece). 

I would like to know where in Japan the piece originates, is it a lemonade pitcher as so many people try and interpret it or what it is, and a ballpark value!

Thanks a bunch!

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: Help ID jug/pitcher
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 07:03:21 am »
Nippon simply mean's ( japan) this was made in china. of which china was stopped by u.s. custom's from importing fake nippon in the 1970's.

until country of origin was placed on the item.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 10:19:58 am »
A Correction is due. joan does show this trade mark in the six series. page 142. it's said to be a milk pitcher.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 11:22:37 pm »
So, according to Joan is this in fact real Nippon?   I have searched everywhere and the only note of this maker is referred to in her book (of which I have not seen) however, it is noted as real Nippon.  Ballpark value?

I agree that it looks like a milk pitcher.  Was rather surprised that people have listed full sets (matching cups w/pitchers) as being used for lemonade!

Thank you D&b!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 07:24:40 am »
internet info can be decieving. I do have joan's book's. I would have to agree with her. she has spent years compileing her info and many trip's to the factory. about $45.00 Dollars

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 10:50:00 am »
Thank you D&b!  I value your expertise!

I do have books.....just not hers.  I do believe that she is a great source in this area!  If I venture further into this area...I will definitely invest in some of her books!