Poll

0 (0%)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Mirror value & provenance  (Read 1541 times)

temo

• View Profile
Mirror value & provenance
« on: January 27, 2009, 04:18:20 am »
can somebody to tell  about value of this item?

Empire style, a nine fold reflection, the frame made of mahogany, incrustation and bronze artistic details, the lower part consists of two small cases with glass front
Size 318x104cm
Material: mahogany, bronze

railman44

• View Profile
Re: Mirror value & provenance
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 05:12:00 am »
From the photo it looks beautiful.  Almost impossible to judge originaliltiy (age) with one photo.  From my quick and sometimes flawed calculations, it appears to be at 10 feet tall.  That would be a check-mark in the minus column since most people's ceilings in the USA top out at 8 feet.  A check of the drawers/doors, backside, mirror and mode of construction would be needed to determine if the piece is truly authentic (old and not a later reproduction).  I've never seen a mirror that large on what appears to be a vanity or desk.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 05:18:30 am by railman44 »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 12:01:56 pm »
I love it, I love it!  I have seen this style many times...and it is French. (ONE OF MY FAVORITES!)  I believe that it has a bow at the top? Please photo the drawers (dovetailing), the ornate detail at the top and the legs.

In my opinion, this was made in the style of the Louis XVI Period in which pieces were still large, but the designs were simpler and intricate detailed bronzing was used on the rather "bare" looking furniture (compared to the style of Louis XV). This is the period when the intertwined ribbons came into play.  Sturdy woods, like mahagony were used. Quoting from a publication "A marked characteristic of the Louis XVI style is the small scale on which practically all ornament was treated by the woodcarver and especially by the bronze worker. The jewel-like quality of the bronze mounts resembles more the work of the goldsmith than that of the fondeur-ciseleur. Among the many favorite running motif, which also happen to be an architectural bequest of antiquity, are dentils, leaf bands such as acanthus, bay, or oak, bead chains, entrelacs or two interlaced ribbons, guilloches, imbricated coin bands, and, above all, short rows of fluting".

As far as the tallness...very common in French antiques.  (My newest acquisition is 9')

I wound consider this made for a bedroom...however can be used in an entrance-way.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 12:16:01 pm »
Not bad kc, the style is regency' ( english with a french flair) let's take apeak at further construction detail's.