Author Topic: Large Oval Waterford Bowl  (Read 3291 times)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Large Oval Waterford Bowl
« on: February 01, 2009, 06:02:43 pm »
This bowl has a story...so bear with me. 
In 1972 John F. Connelly (who was the son of a blacksmith and became a rags to riches story as Pres of Crown Cork & Seal Company) went to the Waterford Crystal plant and saw a round dish with what resembled crowns at the top.  He wanted Waterford's John Connolly/designer to design an oval bowl that had crowns all the way around the top - King's crowns like CC&S's logo.  They told him they would but he would have to order more than 50 in order to justify making the mold and they would make them then break the mold. So, CC&S's John Connelly had them made and then gave the bowls to family members, top executives and top managers in the company. My father was one of them as well as being a good friend.  FYI  John's legacy & philanthropic ventures at http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C0CE3DA173FF932A25754C0A966958260 and CC&S info www.answers.com/topic/crown-cork-seal-company-inc

So, here we have a 13 3/4" long x 9 1/2" wide x 4 1/4" tall bowl       Any idea on value at this time?

A 10" variation of this bowl is at www.crystalclassics.com/waterford/designers/kings.htm

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

railman44

• View Profile
Re: Large Oval Waterford Bowl
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 06:56:12 pm »
Seems to me it would be anybody's guess.  We know there are/were 50.  We also know they aren't particularly old.  I would guess they are probably worth what a similiar (in size) crystal oval bowl today is worth. 

Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 11:46:36 pm »
Probably not much value at this time. Maybe twice the original cost. Even in 1972 Mr. Connelly probably paid $10-$20 each? Just a guess on my part. The value will continue to rise in the future because of the provenance you have on the piece. Type off any information that you have and put it with the piece for future generations. Pack it away carefully or display it behind glass. those glass crowns on the rim will chip very easily............ 8)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 01:09:35 am »
My dad through all of his old work information and found where he noted Mr. Connelly paid $200 each to have them made.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 03:19:49 am »
I was just thinking, .... a prototype item of limited production would cost a "pretty penny". That is why one hears stories about the Government paying $200+ dollars for a simple sounding little tool. I use to tell people that a new designed electronic computer "chip" will cost $150,000 for the 1st one, ..... then the next jillion can be made for $0.50 cents each.

Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 10:16:28 am »
That is a good point, and I have no doubt that he paid that much per bowl. I spent 40 years in printing and customers could not understand why I could not print 100 books for the same 'price per book' as 10,000.

I do maintain though that the value retained on the secondary market is much lower at this time. Monetary value and sentimental value for future generations and family will increase with time.........

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 10:44:42 am »
I have to agree with Tim. I don't see the likely hood of it selling to high at present.