Author Topic: Bamboo baby carriage... anyone?  (Read 2295 times)

lilmissangela

• View Profile
Bamboo baby carriage... anyone?
« on: January 13, 2009, 08:21:15 pm »
My friend gave this to me and she has had it for 40 years and bought it as an antique back then.

It is supposedly from China, but that is all I know.

It's 28" high.

Any information about the age, value or where it is from, woould be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

leonceant

• View Profile
    • Leonce Antiques and Consignment
Re: Bamboo baby carriage... anyone?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 01:20:01 pm »
Very interesting! Just sorry we can't provide more info, but its a lovely piece.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 04:08:21 pm »
Is it full size as if for a "real" child/baby.  Or, is it smaller as if for a doll?  Have seen some over the years for dolls that were made of bamboo but not like this! This is much more intricate!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

lilmissangela

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 04:25:21 pm »
It is definitely meant for a real baby.  We put a friend's baby in there and it fit perfectly!  It's very sturdy and well made.  The height would work for a person about 4" 10" or less, I am guessing.  I have to bend down a bit to push it and I am about 5' 2". 

I can't find anything like it either but it was bought at an antique shop in Seville, Spain in 1970 and was thought to be originally from China.  So I was hoping someone would know about Chinese antiques or at least where I could look for info. 

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 01:24:38 pm »
www.harpgallery.com/showroom/item4936.html

Has a baby cradle in bamboo....chinese as well!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 01:30:08 pm »
I hope the poster comes back to view this information.

Having 3 internationally adopted children myself I figured adoptive sites may reflect this item even today.

Because yours is more substantial and novel to the US...I would give it a value of $55 - $75.

In china they are called strollers and more often Prams.  They are still commonly made out of bamboo for the lower income public - much more affordable. However, those that can afford the "modern" versions of metal and cloth will do so for prestige.   Here are some more sites to view.

http://preetamrai.com/weblog/archives/2009/01/23/bamboo-baby-stroller/
http://www.daddytypes.com/2004/07/17/chinese_bamboo_strollers_orphanage_gear.php
http://divemad.com/chinese_pram.htm