Author Topic: Bronze Dog  (Read 2166 times)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Bronze Dog
« on: February 04, 2009, 08:21:31 pm »
This is the best behaved dog in the house!

On an antique outing 20 years ago my better half fell in love with this bronze...thus we have it.  Our good friends owned the store and had purchased it (with 2 others) in France.   He is a male (discovered he was anatomically correct once we got him home).  3' 4" tall x 18" wide x 20" deep.  Weighs 107lbs.  No marks that we can see.  He is beautifully detailed.  His nose is a gorgeous bronze because anyone who comes to visit love to pat/rub the snout. 

What kind of dog is this?  Value? 

Thanks!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
Re: Bronze Dog
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 04:30:09 am »
KC, it resembles a German shorthair pointer

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 11:13:01 am »
He does resemble in body style.  I searched continuously and found them with tails....they have short haired tails.  Ours has a bushy tail and the etchings on the dog resemble longer hair.  I have looked for years and usually find bronzes like a Whippet.

I just found 2 small bronze on ebay that "resembled" our super sized dog and one stated it was a Borzoi and another one said it was a Russian Wolf Hound (Borzoi is a Russian Wolf Hound just a fancier name!).  What do you think?

The funny part of this would be if in fact it is the Russian Wolf Hound - we named the dog Arkadi 9 years ago had a tag made w/ collar. 

Arkadi is a russian gentleman in Siberia Russia that helped us get our 2 adoptive children (brother n sister) out of Russia 12 years ago. It took 6 years and 3 trips - revolution and red tape.  The one in the picture is our daughter from Korea.  Our oldest is by birth - we could have children just felt led to adopt!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 05:04:42 pm »
I agree wolf hound. it should easely sell in the $1,200.00 to $ 1,500.00 dollar range

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 07:48:29 pm »
Thank you for you help Cogar and D&b.

Found this bronze http://www.k-excellence.com/tpl/2348.JPG and it greatly resembles ours -  6" tall tho'.  A Borzoi Wolf Hound ----

We paid $600 for it way back when, and I felt it would be worth more than that by now.  D&b is that how much you would suggest we insure it for?   $1500?

Any idea where to find markings on this?

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 07:00:33 am »
could be very hard to replace. fire & water not likely to be a danger but theft. $2,000.00 Dollars.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 11:50:01 am »
Just by chance found out about 1 of the other dogs.  I googled BRONZE RUSSIAN WOLFHOUND ( now that I found out what kind of dog this is) and a picture of "our dog" was listed at an auction house in New York. No answers to my emails sent last week so I called them today.  The owner and his staff were fantastic and went above and beyond to give me the information on the auction that occurred over 10 years ago. 

The dog was from the estate of former Texas Governor John Connally (for history buffs - the one riding with John F. Kennedy on that fatal day) and sold for $2,500 which he stated was low at that time.  (Current estimated value $5,000 up.)  It was purchased by a collector that he works with and has one of the most expansive and expensive collections in the country.  He couldn't find markings on his dog as well and was eager to hear that it was from France.

Our friends' store was in Ft Worth, TX so we are willing to bet this is one of the triplets!