Author Topic: small copper/gold? case US map on lid  (Read 3706 times)

autumn

• View Profile
small copper/gold? case US map on lid
« on: February 13, 2009, 10:26:09 pm »
I Found this case in the woods barried in the dirt not sure what it is, its about 3"x3", and about 1/2" thick, check it out let me know what you guys think/ how much its worth. And it dosnt look deep enough to hold a cigarette
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 10:34:34 pm by autumn »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: small copper/gold? case US map on lid
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 12:23:30 am »
It appears that you have a woman's powder compact!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 01:04:54 am »
Is there any maker's mark or printing?  Although it looks to be a woman's compact, I have my doubts with a map of the USA on the exterior.  The lower interior plate also looks like it can be lifted.  If so, what's below it?  Is it exactly as found or did you clean it?  Copper would have oxidized if buried long.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 01:13:51 am by railman44 »

autumn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 12:16:07 pm »
Yes I have my doubts as to it being a woman's compact too, I could not find any maker's mark anywhere the only writting is the writting on the lid, yes the bottom dose open but it appear all it is, is a hook type thing that made it so when you press the knob on the outside in would open and all the cleaning I did on it was when I found it and I wipe the excess dirt off.

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 12:22:02 pm »
Well, if it were a woman's compact there would be a mirror or at least the remains of adhesive where a mirror was.   ???

autumn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 01:14:33 pm »
Yes I agree, so what could it be then??

autumn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 01:22:52 pm »
Just did some research looks like it probably is a woman's powder compact I looked that up and found pretty much the same thing except it had a mirror inside and a different designer on the cover, but i guess my question now is it worth anything??

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 03:44:51 pm »
Sorry guys...it is a powder compact!  These are a real fast and growing collectible item - reflecting on the glamor days of femininity!  This is a vintage one!  Should bring $45 upwards (If I was you I would look at following references before you sell)

In the earlier years this was the perfect gift for a beau or husband to give his lady!  Why, back with World War 2, soldiers would buy them to send back to their sweeties in the States (Military Themed compacts even!). Many collectors choose a theme (such as souvenir compacts, map compacts,  Royal Family (Queen of England) compacts, Art Deco, etc.).  Some collect by type (Celluloid (early plastic that are rarer), Enamel compacts, Mother of Pearl compacts, jeweled compacts, Silver or Gold compacts), some collect by size (Hatpins with compacts at the tip, Stuffed Animals w/compacts inside, Brooches with compacts) and some only collect top names such a Stratton, Arden, Estee Lauder, Coty, Max Factor, etc. 

A must see collection is at http://www.davidandnoelle.net/catalogue.htm#glossary.  You will find compacts on sale at Ebay, TIAS and even Ruby Lane!  There are collectors clubs in American http://www.lady-a.com/antiques/COMPCLUB.html and Europe http://www.compactcollectors.co.uk/ !  Prices range from the low $20's to rarer ones selling over $1,000's! Recommended books:"Collector's Encyclopedia of Compacts, Carry-Alls & Face Powder Boxes," by Laura M. Mueller ; "Powder Compacts," by Juliette Edwards
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 03:50:46 pm »
By-the-way...the top section holds the puff and bottom holds the loose powder - this was before the pressed powder cakes that are in compacts these days.

autumn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 04:05:09 pm »
Wow thanks that was really helpfull!

autumn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 04:32:11 pm »
I don't suppose anyone knows how to find out if it is rare or not?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 07:06:35 pm »
Forgot to address the questions about the mirror.  Most did not have mirrors - thus the reason for having "powder rooms" and ladies went to powder their noses because the mirror was there! Mirrors eventually came.

I do not know about your particular one...due to the lack of markings.  However, many expensive ones do not have any markings  so don't let that fool you into thinking it can't be worth alot.  Your best best is to try the resources I recommended - see if the compact books are in your library or local book store.  Keep searching the internet.  Try asking at the collectors clubs if they allow it.

Maybe someone else can pipe in.

autumn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 01:55:56 pm »
Does anyone know where I could find out more (phone number or website) about this specific compact like the year and how much it is worth? :Wadsworth – gold and silver metal compact with a map of the United States labeled with many cities and symbols. 7.5 x 7.5cm.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 01:57:27 pm by autumn »