Author Topic: "High Art Furniture" Sideboard/Buffet  (Read 1948 times)

johnnyjohnson2043

• View Profile
"High Art Furniture" Sideboard/Buffet
« on: February 13, 2009, 09:26:37 am »
My wife and I found this piece of furniture on the side of the road yesterday but after doing some research online I haven't really been able to find out much about the company.  It is 66" wide, 22.5" deep, and 44" tall.  There is a rather worn tag on the back from which I was able to gather only the following information:  "High Art Furniture" or "High Furniture Art" (depending on how you read the label); "-Marx Furniture Co" and perhaps "Louisville, KY".  Everything else on the tag is illegible except "For", "From" and "No."  The wood veneer is damaged in several areas but is mostly intact.  As you can see from the pictures there are two drawers.  The lower drawer has a sliding silverware holder (perhaps?).  All of the hardware (screws and nails) seems to be original to the piece.  Finally, there it are adjustable metal feet (the kind that twist to make it taller or shorter).  Any information about this piece of furniture would be appreciated.  If you need any more info from me I tell you what I can.  Thank you in advance.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 09:33:19 am by johnnyjohnson2043 »

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: "High Art Furniture" Sideboard/Buffet
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 12:14:41 pm »
I Don't have any info on that company either. but it appears to be a factory produced side Board. Damaged veneer is very difficult to repair. with no real gain in value.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: "High Art Furniture" Sideboard/Buffet
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 07:46:49 pm »
I have searched all of my resources as well and cannot find anything on the Marx Co.  It may have been the store that sold them and not manufactured them.  Agree with D&b that it's a factory made sideboard.  Ditto on the repairs unless you just have fun doing this sort of thing!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!