Author Topic: Wooden Thread Spools  (Read 2787 times)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Wooden Thread Spools
« on: February 22, 2009, 12:33:00 pm »
     O.k here is a bit of a challange for someone maybe.  Me and my lady friend has been debating, how old some wooden spools of thread she has acquired.   Where is one to look for how to date a spool of thread?  Many look real old, she thinks spool of thread was disconinued in the 30's or so. Me well I just don't know, looked abit on the net, but then she thinks maybe someone here may know a bit.  So how do we date a spool of Thread???

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: Wooden Thread Spools
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 02:44:31 pm »
could be hard to do. I remember wooden spool's inthe early 60's then plastic then styrofoam.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Wooden Thread Spools
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 04:53:39 pm »
You might be able to get a ballpark idea of the date of manufacture by the name of the company that produced the spools/bobbins.  For instance the American Thread Co produced wooden spools until the early 70's and closed in 74. 

Would take lots of leg work....  No matter how you look at it, they are collectible and prized for their original use value as-well-as what people make out of them.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!