Author Topic: Identify bronze?  (Read 3835 times)

bingh

• View Profile
Identify bronze?
« on: February 20, 2009, 06:06:49 am »
I have a bronze figure of an indian on horseback hunting a bison with bow and arrow. It is numbered 142/200 and signed MILLAR. I have searched but can't find anything about him. Can anyone help?

Brian

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Identify bronze?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 08:54:06 am »
  Try Alexander Millar his works are not old but sometimes bring a whoopin price.  Most like made in the 80's but he makes limited editions of his bronze works.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 10:43:11 am »
Iron lord I suspect your right. he's scottish working from the 1960's. known for his large bronze's. these are limited edition.

bingh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 05:11:56 pm »
Thanks guys. The bronze is 10" long and 7" high. Can anyone suggest what it is worth?

Brian

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 08:52:58 pm »
    Sorry I wish I could help, what I have seen of his works is usually very large, 30+ inches, they go for a couple Thousand.  This would be a small piece  for his works.  May want to check out his marks on the bottom.  Or maybe post them and can look into it further.  If it is a samll piece you may be looking at something rare by him or something that would fetch just 200.00 or so.  That is just a guess, not my area, but love to learn more, I will look a bit and let you know if something comes up.  It's all about the challange of knowledge for me.

bingh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 01:33:29 am »
Hi Ironlord

Here is the signature and 142/200

Brian

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 10:00:31 am »
When I Google Alexander Millar I find nothing of his that even suggests he has sculpted anything pertaining to the American West.  He's from the UK and the only works I can find are plump people dancing, with umbrellas or riding a bicycle.  I'm wondering if we're on the right trail? ??? 

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 10:19:06 am »
     I think you are right Railman, I don't see his style in this piece.  Sorry to get us lost along the wrong path, rookie mistake.  I came to the same conclusion.  I did find a Jim Millar who works in Bronze, however he seems to only make fountains.  Looks like we need a map and a new driver on this one.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 10:59:32 am »
maybe not. he has been known to make small limited edition bronze's and signed them millar. but the question is were they for the american market?

I can't find any auction, records of any kind.to prove this is his work.

bingh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 05:44:01 am »
Thanks guys for your efforts

Brian

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 08:21:25 am »
If it's any help, I have a bronze of an American Indian bust signed by Riley.  Although the bust is supurb in my estimation, I could find nothing on Mr. Riley.  He's not a listed artist.  Turns out he lived in Oklahoma and is/was quite noted.  I've never seen any other works of his.  So keep looking and even email other American west artists and galleries for any information.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 10:18:31 am »
I personally can't give a $$ at this time....because I do believe that the artist did a fantastic job in making this.  The detail is wonderful.  Thus, you should find out more about the artist....sometimes that may take a L-L-O-O-N-N-G-G time but will usually be worth it in the end.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!