Author Topic: Bronze Padlock with key/hand-forged  (Read 3865 times)

Drafe

• View Profile
Bronze Padlock with key/hand-forged
« on: February 25, 2009, 09:19:58 am »
Seems I've exhausted my search for info on this old padlock.  Any clues out there? Hand-forged bronze, magnet tested. Works great, with barrel type key. Thanks a lot. It's about 2 1/2" high. No markings other than tool markings.

railman44

• View Profile
Re: Bronze Padlock with key/hand-forged
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 12:58:48 pm »
If you're sure there are no maker's mark, it would be almost impossible to determine much except it's old.  Having the key is a real postive.  Lots of lock collectors on the Web.  You may try to access one of their forums and maybe one of their experts could help. 

Drafe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 01:18:28 pm »
No, no maker's marks at all.  I'll dig around more on the antique lock sites.  Thanks a lot.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 02:42:57 am »
You have a Rail Road "switch" lock.

These were all brass because they were "out in the weather" and used to lock the switch that transferred the train from one track to another.

Highly collectible if it has the right RR name or initials on it.

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 07:29:36 am »
You have a Rail Road "switch" lock.

These were all brass because they were "out in the weather" and used to lock the switch that transferred the train from one track to another.

Highly collectible if it has the right RR name or initials on it.
Railroad switch locks had a brass guard over the keyhole which would slide aside to insert the key.  This, I suppose, was because they were out in the weather.  Railroad signal and shanty locks also had a guard over the keyhole.  They also had a chain ring attached to the bottom which held a chain to make sure they weren't forgotten when unlocked.  Many lockmakers copied the railroad design for home and business use without the guard or chain holder.  The vast majority of railroad locks and keys were railroad marked. 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 07:32:06 am by railman44 »

Drafe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 09:18:02 am »
Thanks cogar and Railman.  So this is just an old padlock with a key, fair enough. Any rough idea on a date?

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 04:23:15 am »
Railman44, I considered all those features you described but I also considered the fact that the early locks did not have those features but were later added when they realized there were problems. Also the fact that there were once hundreds of “short-line” railroads and the keyhole guard, chain and logo/name would have cost more so they probably just purchased a plain lock as pictured above.

Not all authentic RR locks are like you described. I say that because I once had a Coal and Coke Railroad (which was purchased by the B&O RR in 1917) screw type switch lock similar to the one pictured here,

http://www.antiquesnavigator.com/images/5-18-006.jpg 

but which did not have a chain or a name/logo on said. I know it was authentic because it was given to me by my Father who was, by the way, the last surviving employee of the Coal and Coke Railroad and retired from the B&O System in the mid/late 1960’s, …. I think.

Railman44, I had several items of C&C memorabilia, 2 or 3 which I gave to Alan Clarke who authored “West Virginia's Coal & Coke Railroad: A B&0 Predecessor”, and for which he gave me an autographed copy of his book.

cheers     

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 07:47:05 am »
Your right Cogar.  There are exceptions to everything.  Small branch lines long ago could have very easily used unmarked locks/keys.  I was speaking in generalities and referring to what was most commonly used.  Alas, with this lock unidentifiable with no markings whatsoever, it remains a mute point.  The fact still remains that lots of non railroad businesses used the "railroad" design of the brass heart lock.  What remains a mystery to me is the fact most lock companies marked their lock bodies or hasps in some way.  But as I said, there are exceptions to everything.

Drafe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 08:49:20 am »
I just found out this was purchased in Gloversville, NY.  Any significance?  I know it's impossible to know exactly which RR, just hoping for a date of some sort.

Thanks a lot guys.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 11:23:38 am »
I just love these items that get the creative juices flowing!!!!  Onward Ho!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!