Author Topic: Siapan Beacon - Japs Quit  (Read 1446 times)

Gaterader

• View Profile
Siapan Beacon - Japs Quit
« on: April 11, 2009, 08:40:55 am »
I have an issue of the military newspaper, the Siapan Beacon, which is dated August 15,1945. The headline reads Japs Quit with "War Ends" overlayed on it. The front page has an article title " World Wars 11 Ends Today" and "Saipan Celebrates Victory" with drawing of the four Allied flags of the United States, Britian, China, and Russia as well as a photograph of then president Harry S. Truman. The two inside pages has an eight year summary of the war from it's start in 1937 to the surrender on August 8, 1945 as well as eight war related photographs.  The back page has a drawing of General Douglas Mac Arthur along with multiple articles on the ending of the war from Guam, London, Belgrade, Ottawa, Chungking, Moscow, San Francisco, and Washington D.C.   Does anyone know it's approximate worth?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 11:55:04 am by Gaterader »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Siapan Beacon - Japs Quit
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 11:09:37 am »
Darn, I just had a copy of a wartime memorabilia catalog....see if I can get it back!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 06:21:30 pm »
If original, Value $25 - $35

One sold on Ebay recently for $23.00 as well.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Gaterader

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 06:49:01 pm »
It is an original print and was in a plastic holder that also had the base Protestant church schedule dated July 22,1945 titled "Eight Sunday After Trinity, a 1945 comic strip called "Male Call" by Milton Caniff who is the creator of Terry and the Pirates, and a flier for the Navy Wives Activities, pretty heady stuff.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 11:58:44 pm »
With the extra items you might reach a value of $45 - 55!