Author Topic: Harris Lebus Dressing Table  (Read 2870 times)

Rieann

• View Profile
Harris Lebus Dressing Table
« on: March 08, 2009, 09:51:55 am »
Can anyone help me with any information about this item, please? 

My mum has gone into a home and we have just had an offer on her house so need to dispose of everything.  I found out today that this dressing table is Harris Lebus (there is a small round plaque in the top drawer). 

The only history I know it that is was acquired when my parents married, around 1958.

Any information or advice anyone could give me would be much appreciated, especially age, style, value and even the wood (sorry, I'm new to this but keen to learn!).

Many thanks.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: Harris Lebus Dressing Table
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 01:34:10 pm »
It's very contemporary.what we call ( RETRO) early 1950's. wood grain appears to be high quality Mahagony. you might find M A H on the back side.$500.00 Dollars.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Harris Lebus Dressing Table
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 02:40:10 pm »
The Harris Lebus company, founded by Lewis Lebus, an immigrant to England in 1840, was a very large furniture manufacturer in London 1899, mainly producing bedroom and dining cabinets. HL helped bring Arts and Crafts style to the masses during the early to mid 1900's and became a well known household name due to it being the largest furniture company in England. They used predominantly mahogany and maple.  Interesting fact was in 1940 they switched to armament production during WWII where they produced produced "replica" wooden tanks as decoys and a glider (Airspeed Horsa Transport Gliders) for the Royal Air Force...which isn't very common among furniture manufacturers!   They struggled after the war to mass produce furniture turning to veneers, etc.  They ceased operation in 1969.

Their Arts and Crafts style is still very popular (retro for the US)  Yours is a very popular style among RETRO lovers.  Totally agree with D&b on value (could even bump up $$ a little with a good market since it has a large mirror)!

for Full History
www.haringey.gov.uk Search "Harris Lebus"  then select "Investigating the Past - Harris Lebus Exhibition Adobe PDF Document" 
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 02:41:52 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!