Author Topic: Antique vs. Vintage  (Read 3603 times)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Antique vs. Vintage
« on: March 04, 2009, 08:49:07 pm »
     O.k how about a simple question.  Well maybe not so simple but one that has come to mind recently.  How old does something have to be to be considered a Antique?   Then what would be considered Vintage?   Is there a basic rule or guideline?  Or is it one of those chicken or egg question? 

railman44

• View Profile
Re: Antique vs. Vintage
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 09:36:32 pm »
I can only give you my definitions.  An 'antique' is something 100 years or older.  Something 'vintage' is newer than 100 years but certainly not the latest model.  'Vintage' is very difficult to define.  For example, if something was invented or first marketed 10 years ago and has underwent changes until now, the 10 year old model could be termed 'vintage'.  I'm sure there will be lots of other definitions forthcoming.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 10:09:34 pm »
     That is much different then my debate with my better half.  I actually was considering something Antique as older then me.   I know that sound a bit silly but Something made in the 1950's seem antique to me, Being born in 1963 thing later then this seem a bit vintage.  I seen it when it was around and watch it change to something else.  Of course if it is newer then about 20 years, well that is the latest fad kinda of thing.  I know this all sounds a bit whacked and silly, but that was my debate.  Of course the older I get the older a antique has to be.  So when I'm 100 years old I will agree ;D   I know this is not much of a logical term for Antique and Vintage, but I'm still a newbie.  :(  :P   

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 02:51:00 am »
Actually, vintage refers to wine, ..... age of the wine, ..... which could be 1 or 100 years old. But "vintage" is also used to "pick an age" of just about anything and is probably used just as often as "circa" when talking about something.

I guess the un-official age to be called an antique is 100 years or greater.

But, as far as I'm concerned, ..... it is buyer's choice. The difference between an antique and a collectible is kinda fuzzy and really depends on the item itself and the age of the buyer.

If the item is a few years older than the buyer they will most often call it an antique, ...... but, ...... that depends on how plentiful that item is. The more plentiful they are, the more likely they will be called a collectible. For instance, pottery and glassware are seldom ever referred to as antiques, except as a group,  .... no matter how old they are.

Aka: antique pottery - collectible plates, collectible shaving mugs, etc. Vintage 1890's - circa 1895.

Remember, ..... the buyer is always right. ;) ;) ;)

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 06:42:20 am »
Internal revenue set the stage, at hundred years. anything newer & your going to pay tax's. canada it's fifty years. vintage would fall in the 99 years and 364 day's old.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 10:27:59 am »
True D&b!  Makes a difference $$$!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 12:29:49 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 11:21:23 pm »
Checked out wikapedia it made my head spin a bit, but did say 50 to 100 years, but then lots of psycho babble about different this and that  ::).  So far the conclusion seems to 100 years.  So much for my Antique collection, its more vintage then antique  :-\.   Guess I still like to think something older then me is Antique  :P.   Would like to hear more from anyone who would have any other opinion, it would be nice to be convince that at least a few more of my vintage items could be consider as Antique.   ;D   Have a wonderful day,   P.S.  This site is a great site, I have learn a lot, in a very short time.  Just opening each strings brings me closer to learning how to find Antiques, not just medicore vintage stuff.   :D 

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 12:35:33 am »
I found myself laughing out loud when i googled antique vs vintage and got the link at Ebay Forums .... HCQuilts  wrote "However, on ebay "vintage" often seems to mean anything that was purchased less than 24 hours ago, is dirty and worn, or looks like it might be old if you don't know anything about history and squint really hard :) It is as overused, and misused, as "rare". "

Thank the Lord I am only vintage...so far! Ha!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 09:52:33 pm »
cogar has it nailed down..............A ntique is normally 100 years.............. the word 'vintage' is overused and abused in the forums and auctions. The word means nothing unless you use it with a date, IE: vintage, 1950's...........vintage, 1970's.................s ame as the word 'circa'

course it's only my opinion............ 8)

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
- Thomas Watson (1874-1956), Chairman of IBM, 1943

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 12:09:20 am »
I would have to agree with the word vintage, it is much overused and not used right.  It makes so much sense that it need to be followed with a date, so vintage is just a adjective word to place it in a certain time frame.  I will look at that word so differently now.   Thanks, but still most of my stuff is  ????
what word do I use now. hmmmmm, how about "old",  My stuff is mostly old not Antique.   :D