Author Topic: ironlord or kc iam getting there  (Read 2322 times)

peanut715

• View Profile
ironlord or kc iam getting there
« on: March 26, 2009, 04:31:13 pm »
iam getting closer when i do a search do i look for reed and barton 1873 or # 2626
or do i look for circa 1873 here what i found out the set is actu. 6 peices the soup tureen is sitting in the art museum in dallas.

Description:
Marked Reed & Barton, circa 1873 In the Viking taste, comprising: coffee pot, teapot, cream jug, covered sugar bowl, and waste bowl, each raised on four feet, the bodies engraved with Nordic designs centering an engraving of a Viking long boat, the angular loop handle with psuedo cuneiform script, the covers surmounted by seated lions. The coffee pot 11in. (28cm.) high. (5) NOTES The design for this teapot is illustrated in American Silverplate, Dorothy and Ivan Rainwater, 1988, p. 109. The designer George Gill incorporated an eclectic mix of styles into his works. The original price of a six piece tea and coffee service was $60.00 in 1877. A silver-plated soup tureen currently in the Dallas Museum of Art, which matches this tea service in form and style is shown in Charles Venable, Silver in America, 1994, fig. 6.57
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 04:53:46 pm by peanut715 »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: ironlord or kc iam getting there
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 05:10:25 pm »
I recommend that you search several ways...
Reed & Barton tea service, Reed & Barton coffee service, Reed & Barton nordic, Reed and Barton 1873, etc. As many ways possible.  The more you try...the better your chances.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 05:22:32 pm »
The sixth piece is a soup Taureen?   That would be a bit strange, I believe that would be called the waste bowl.  It is a bowl used to discard the tea and coffee waste, and sometimes to hold the spoons.  At least that would be considered a 6 piece set.  This is cool that you are keeping us informed on the information, maybe one day I'll get over my Jr. statis and be a Sr. like K.C.   ;D.   You rock and thanks again for the info.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 07:56:40 pm »
I'm sorry I only briefly read what you had posted....I agree with Ironlord1963! There should be 6 pieces to your tea and coffee service....tea pot, coffee pot, sugar bowl/w lid, creamer and waste bowl (generally the size of the sugar bowl but without a lid).  There will possibly be a tipper kettle as well. If this was indeed a popular pattern, they probably made several different types of serving pieces and back in that era, soup tureens were highly prized among the wealthier. 

I went to the Dallas site and couldn't pull up the pic that you spoke of.  There is a tureen that is displayed....but not that looks at all like the pattern you are seeking.

Did you by chance get your pic of the ad from here http://yhst-8648888235747.stores.yahoo.net/siplteaandco.html?  They have the set for sale!

I am delighted to hear that you are on the hunt for your pattern/pieces! 

« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 09:25:46 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 11:24:24 pm »
     Wow $2100.00  for that set.   Can one really set a set like that for $2100.00,  I can get some really nice period set for around $500.00, Not as cool but close.   That just made my jaw drop,  I just want to touch a $2100.00 Reed and Barton set   ;D.    It was suggested that sometimes location can make a big difference.  O.k. this is going a little off track.  Think I'll have to start a thread on this.   Keep up the search, looks like you have the making of a nice set,  I will poke around here a bit too and keep it in mind in my wanderings just in case I spot the set. 

peanut715

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 08:28:46 pm »
the 2100.00 dols is for the 4 peices but i dont know how much the other 2 peices are.

the other set that was sold had 5 peices i put up the link below check it out.
http://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/a-five-piece-silver-plated-tea-and-coffee-service-1-c-by8ayqo4ae

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 11:32:42 am »
Amazing.....over time you will find more information....the hard part is waiting.  Unfortunately, with the hard times many are experiencing, you will start to see items sold that otherwise would have been carried down through the generations.  So, keep your eyes out.  I have it in my "search for" list as well.  I would be willing to be that there is a platter made in this pattern - many older soup tureens and punch bowls had matching platters that they sat on, thus they wouldn't drip on the fine linen.  So you might want to keep your eye out for that as well. 

It will be unusual to find just 2 pieces...but anything is possible.  Many times people with part with either the teapot or coffee pot and the waste bowl during hard times and keep one pot together with the creamer/sugar.  So always look for these items individually.  You never know what you will find.

FYI - When our oldest son was 6 he accidentally knocked off a platter that had belonged in the family for many years.  He is turning 20 and I just found the platter last month!  14 years searching...and finally found it!  Although I hope your search isn't that long...it has definitely been a search that has lead me on an  interesting path to know and love many items that have been used in history and now collected by many.  And, it is also what has inadvertently lead me to being on this forum!