Author Topic: Antique Furniture? Can anyone identify / date?  (Read 2981 times)

jayfouse

• View Profile
Antique Furniture? Can anyone identify / date?
« on: March 26, 2009, 06:45:14 am »
I'd like to know if this is really "antique?"  I see it has solid wood, tongue/groove construction.  The only markings I can seem to find are 1692 stamped on the back of the nightstand, and 1602 stamped on the back of the long, short dresser.  There doesn't appear to be a stamp on the tall dresser.  The nightstand is missing hardware, as you can see from the photo.  I'd like to find an original replacement if possible, and also find out some history about the furniture.  Any help is appreciated.  Thank you.

Jay

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: Antique Furniture? Can anyone identify / date?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 10:12:19 am »
No it's not Antique. late 50's early 60's but quality furniture. it compares to Mersman Bassett etc.

jayfouse

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 10:45:39 am »
I wonder what are the chances of finding an original replacement bail pull - the one that's missing from the nightstand?  Or even a replica would be fine.  Is there a name for this type of 'style?'  Thanks for the information!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 11:21:50 am »
No particular style it's mixture of Hepplewhite sheraton.etc you might try Horton Brass's they make handle pull's. it goes very well with your knotty pine wall. very 50's.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 01:51:40 pm »
D&B do you remember "blonde" furniture from the late 40's and 50's.  This reminds me of it!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 03:10:25 pm »
I sure do remember Blonde furniture.it's possible the lighting is showing some dark areas. if so we could attribute this furniture to Blonde.

jayfouse

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 11:24:19 am »
personally, i'd prefer it be darker - but the lines on this stuff?!  fantastic!  haha  i had bought some particle board bs at walmart before i craigslisted this set.  cancelled the wally order post-haste!  anyways, i'd like to find a bail pull to replace the missing one.  original would be great - but replica would also be okay.  here's a photo of the pull detail.  it's 4 1/2 inch from post center to center.  thanks guys.

jay

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 11:38:31 am »
I take it you' have it up for sale? may I ask what your asking? I'am just being Nosey.

jayfouse

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 11:51:12 am »
hell no!!! not for sale!  i LOVE the clean lines on this stuff.  it's for my sons room.  but if he doesn't like it - i'll trade him my furniture for this!  :)  i paid $180 for the 3 pieces.  place called r and s resale in ferdale, michigan.  i'm 30 miles south of detroit.  who's got the bail pull!?!?!?!  gotta have it!  :)

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 11:57:02 am »
.Good Man you did'nt buy it. you stold it. $650.00 Dollars on a bad day.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 02:26:51 am »
jayfouse, sometimes one just has to purchase all new/reproduction pulls to get a matched set. As long as they are similar in style, no one will know they were replaced.

I once had to purchase a dresser ..... just to get the pulls off of it to put on another piece of furniture.

You might check used furniture stores/shops ....... and get lucky.