Author Topic: I have this lamp...  (Read 1374 times)

DandelionGrl

• View Profile
I have this lamp...
« on: April 18, 2009, 09:20:19 pm »
Hello.  I have this old lamp that Im about to throw out, but something is nagging at me to have it appraised first.  I dont want to waste my time or money doing that if its junk, so I was hoping someone here could give me some idea as to what I might have.  Ive been trying to research this off and on for years, but apparently Im really bad at this because Ive come up with absolutely nothing.  Im truly at a loss.  I would really appreciate any information you can throw at me. 

As far as I know, my dad got it at a yard sale when he returned from Vietnam.  Ive lugged it around ever since.  It is in pretty bad shape and does not work (cord damage).  I wish I could tell you more about it, but unfortuantely thats all I have.  Thank you for your time and consideration. 

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: I have this lamp...
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 11:46:51 pm »
the top looks as if it could be milk glass shade...what do you thing D&b, cogar, ironlord, railman, Etc?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 12:32:34 am »
Pot metal or iron, beat bad.  I think this item has seen it day, value would be based on the metal scrap.  Not sure you can sell this item, see better ones at the thrift store for 5 to 10 bucks.  If I was to guess at any age I would say 50's and was a cheap lamp then.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 04:28:38 am »
That is just a style of floor lamp that has been around forever. They are called "reflector" lamps I believe because they reflect most of the light up toward the ceiling. Makes for plenty of light ..... but not "glaring" light and are ideal for rooms without a ceiling light.

You can still buy new ones or the globes for the older ones. Here is a couple picts via Google Image.

An old one …..
http://www.brownslampshades.com/ctgys/floor/four-bulb-antique-lamp.jpg

A new one ……
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21YRRXWHEDL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

The age of the one DandelionGrl has would be hard to say. My guess would be 40'ish but it could be a lot older.

A good cleaning, new wire and maybe a "gold" spraypainting and it would be like new.