Author Topic: Girl Scout Plaque Vintage/Antique?  (Read 3279 times)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Girl Scout Plaque Vintage/Antique?
« on: April 12, 2009, 06:41:22 pm »
     Just thought I would share my find of the day.  I have just Aquired a old Girl Scout plaque,  Just about to go do some searching and thought I would give you a bit of the fun.  If you so feel up to the challange   ;D .    It is a porcelain oval mounted to a wood base, it has a hand painted girl scout painted upon the porcelain.    Note one is the amazing amount of grazing on the glaze, which gives it the really old look.  Most likely a cheap early glaze job.  It has a Brass Rope around the edge of the porcelain plate glued.   It also has a girl scout enblem glued to the bottom of the plaque.  This actually looks not so old.   Maybe added later, or just well polish  not sure but something here kinda seems not so right.  It has no marking on the back and look like just some cheap pine.   I'm going to see if I can date the uniform the girl is wearing , maybe the emblem.  Anyway if you like or have any ideal, you know where to find me   ::)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
Re: Girl Scout Plaque Vintage/Antique?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 07:14:44 pm »
     Within minutes of surfing the waves of knowledge my first question was answered.  O.K. it is just vintage,  I thought the girl scouts started in late 1800, but so much for the efforts of my history teacher.  Girl Scout was started in like 1914,  So looks like vintage it is   :(  .  Looking at the outfits I would have to say 30's or 40's.  Early outfits was mostly tan, green seemed to appear in the 30's, she is in a dress and looks like after the 50's they had yellow ties and vests and shash.  Must of been a really bad glaze job to be so crazed.   Anyway guess I should of looked then post,  Im still on the quest for that one Antique piece  :P.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 07:35:48 am »
I think you' Did very well. Don't touch the Paint ! meaning don't strip or repaint. the paint is known as milk paint. item's found in original milk are very Desireable.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 06:00:16 pm »
Is this marked to indicate that it was made by Girl Scout of America or was a troop project?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 06:59:30 pm »
     This item is for sure a project made by a girlscout.  Not only are there many indications of handmade (per say), but you can kind of feel it when you hold and look at the piece.  It was a pride of some girl earning a badge.  I sure hope who ever it was turned out to be a wonderful artist.  Been looking around a bit on the comment you made(I think ?) about the milk paint.  Still a bit vague in my head how one would tell the difference, but would make since in a girl scout craft event.  But how can you tell?  espically from the photo?  Is it the cracked glazing?  Anyway on the glazing I feel but not totally for sure yet but it is also some kind of home made lacquer, thus the poor quality and the extreame age look of it.  I got it for 1 dollar at the thrift shop  Marked at 50% off.  This item some how managed to last 4 weeks without being snagged by the multitude of treasure hunter, and girlscout collectors.    Anyway,  still not sure what to value this at.  Lots of girlscout collectors out there, sure I can get my dollar back.  But the more I look at I like it myself, just some down right good art from a girl on her start down the path of Art, just wish I knew who that was...

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 09:21:10 pm »
B&d made that post....but

Milk paint was originally made from all organic raw materials, curdled milk, lime, and pigment. Clearish/milky look was just the original paint itself.  Black pigment may have been derived from coal, soot, or charcoal. Red from the earth's crust or a crushed brick. Yellow Ochre harvested from the earth. The colors have lasted for thousands of years.  The finished coloring isn't even but has it's own character. 

Usually people put a top coat over it...which would give the crackling effect.

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 09:53:02 pm »
Ah so the top crackled coat on top was on purpose?  Was this to make it seem older, or was the cracked look popular?   What do you think they used as a top coat?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 11:47:12 pm »
I don't think it was on purpose...I think it wonderfully happened with age (my personal opinion!)  Not real sure what they used...but I do believe B&d's advice is well given about not messing with the finish.  That is what makes this piece even more desirable!!!!!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 08:33:11 am »
Ok for give me? the paint cracking is known as ( Alligatoring) cracked skin effect. on ceramic's it's known as ( crazeing) the green milk paint on the Frame is very hard and almost impossible to strip.

And original pieces are becomeing difficult to find. green is popular mustard off ( yellow) pale blue are all becomeing rare.

One reason is painting. the other is sanding. good luck on that too because this paint is there too stay.

If you desire to pry your picture from me. $50.00 Dollars maybe. if I choose to sell.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 01:22:20 pm »
Yes, bout anything with the old milk paint on it is sought after by collectors.

I once bought an old, old hand made poplar step-back cupboards that was painted white. When I was stripping it I found 3 or 4 initials and some “squigglies” painted on it in “mustard”. Thus, what I thought at the time was a “good buy”, turned out to be a “horrific buy”.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 08:20:35 pm »
     Thanks you all the info on milk paint,  I have looked into it and now see how to tell a item that has been painted in this fashion.   I have seen other items that have the same milk paint look and will now be able to indentify them, maybe find that sleeper after all   ::).   The value of $50.00 is what was quoted and would be kinda a napper if I could get that for this item.  We will see, just need the combination of two girl scout collectors and it just may be so.  But I will stay liberal right now and be happy to $20.00 for this item.  Thanks again for all the info, did I mention you guys Rock   ;)