Author Topic: ~6" tall German or Czech figurines  (Read 4323 times)

clintjasper

• View Profile
~6" tall German or Czech figurines
« on: April 21, 2009, 09:58:21 am »
I am looking for any information regarding these. My grandmother said there were peoples’ ashes in them.

She mentioned the people might be from Czechoslovakia although the mark is Germany.

Germany has different laws about ashes and stuff so I am wondering what they are.

Any information would be great, thanks.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: ~6" tall German or Czech figurines
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 11:01:40 am »
It's possible. I personally don't deal in this sort of thing. stand by and let the others have a say' the bottoms are sealed so it's very possible.

If you need further Help. ask Greg at.www.teardropmemo ries.com He buy's and sell's this sort of thing.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 07:18:11 pm »
     Could not help but hit the reply button.  First I'm no expert on porcelain but know just enough to be dangerous.  I can easily see them being purchased in germany and used in Czech.   As for marker of the porcelain not sure that would be easy to figure out either,  I only see item marking numbers.  All this aside, I have a few ends that don't really match up per say.   These would be easy to get a date on, just look at the clothing.  Those are for sure sometime around the 1920's.   That would still be somewhat fresh dead kinda, with relatives still alive and buying porcelain themselves.  Kinda spooky sort of.   I would be curious about when they were purchased and how long was they in your grandmothers pocession, not sure about the age of your kin.  But the math is sort of not matching up in my mind.   Unless someone quickly got rid of family ashes out of sheer spookyiness  that those figurines give off.  The Figurines them self look dead.  Then after searching around a bit, the only figurine urns I could find other then one Angel was for pets.   This would indicate who ever ashes is in those figurine urns either had a sense of humor, or just down right stange people.  What you have is very interesting indeed and I sure they have ashes in them.  Just looking at them and the bottom.  If you can find out more info on the ashes themselves you may have something of good value, If not I would say you have a couple of spooky items there.  Oh and let not forget to consider this must be a husband and wife, that may add a bit to the insight on the strangeness of these items.   

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 07:44:00 pm »
   Just can't stay away from this one it would seem.  Just wanted to update, after a bit more looking and shopping for a Urn myself, I did find lots of cute and religious figures to store yourself in for years to come, maybe become a Antique yourself  ;D.  Maybe they aren't such strange people after all, but they still have a sense of humor, those are not pretty after death kinda urns.   

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 10:52:28 pm »
For years the the German government has had strict control over cremation and required for them to be buried in a cemetery.  Because of this tight control I can see that it is highly plausible that this would be from another country.  Not unusual to see items like this used that was decorative/functional!  The figurines look pretty old - the older type dress - more formalized like for  an era of strict control.

They definitely looked sealed.  You could always check inside....if you dare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (imagine dramatic music at this time)

My mom lived in Germany growing up (last name Schultz!).  This site helps explain it pretty well www.howtogermany.com/pages/funerals.html

Ironlord...your brain must hurt! LOL!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!