Author Topic: 1899 Elgin Antique Pocket Watch 7j Size 18s Silver  (Read 1678 times)

Pwreynolds1988

• View Profile
1899 Elgin Antique Pocket Watch 7j Size 18s Silver
« on: May 03, 2009, 04:40:11 pm »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=320366663136

Bid Often and Bid Early

This is for a 1899 Elgin 7j Size 18s Silver Watch. It is in good condition and was just wound up today. The serial number is 8749089.
We used this Number to pull the information and what follows is what we retrieved.

Serial Number   SN Range RunQty Name Year grade size code   jewels Adj/reg/etc.
--------------  -------- ------ ---- ---- ----- ---- ------ ------ ------------
       8749089   8746001   9000      1899 208    18s ofn5p      7j

On the inside on the watch movement it says Elgin Nat'l Watch Co Usa
It also has the words saftey pinion. On the back of the case it Says Nickel Illinois
Watch Case Co silver 96698. The hands are a blue silver color. The word Elgin is black as are the numbers

For any additional information contact me.

railman44

• View Profile
Re: 1899 Elgin Antique Pocket Watch 7j Size 18s Silver
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 06:20:59 pm »
Lots of different pocket watches on eBay.  Wrist watches have taken the limelight the last few years.  Railroad pocket watches are still popular but don't command the prices they one time had with the exception of the Ball stirrup case watches and the Hamilton 950 plus other name brand top-of-the-line pocketwatches.  Of course, Patek pocket watches will always sell but they're very rare.  Watch collectors are almost more finicky than coin collectors.  They look at the case and what it's made of plus condition, the face for hairline cracks, the number of jewels and any complications such as a wind indicator.  I've found common old pocket watches are hard to sell these days. 

dontbe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.antique-shop.com
Re: 1899 Elgin Antique Pocket Watch 7j Size 18s Silver
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 08:30:22 pm »
I used to live in Elgin Il., within walking distance to where the Elgin watch factory was located. The only thing left are the pillars that marked the entrance. (Its now a shopping center.. sigh)

Now I live in South Carolina.. Interesting tidbit: There is a Elgin SC. too. It was named Elgin because the Elgin watch factory had purchased a lot of land there, and I believe they were going to move the factory to SC.. but it was not to be. it never happened. But the town is still there.

Dear Mr Renolds..
I had to delete a number of your posts.. it was too much too fast.

Please participate in the discussion, but remember the forum is not really about selling as much as learning.

I don't mind an occasional ebay listing being listed, but please don't make it a habit.

regards, Ed Elser, Antique-shop.com
Go to My Webpage
to talk about antiques and check on upcoming antique related events