Author Topic: Can anyone identify this chair and carvings? help  (Read 3689 times)

superstarrman

• View Profile
Can anyone identify this chair and carvings? help
« on: May 10, 2009, 11:24:40 am »
Hi,
I had this chair in the rafters of my work garage for quite a while that someone left there years ago. The seat needs cleaned but other than that there is some tape on it I have to peal off. I am wanting to sell it but I don't know what kind it is. I think French. It has some ribbon style carvings on it but I haven't found anything like it to compare. Are there markings somewhere so I can tell who made this? Can anyone help? I linked the pics below. Thanks for looking.

Tim

• View Profile
Re: Can anyone identify this chair and carvings? help
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 03:02:36 pm »
I would call it French Provincial. The 1920's and 1960's were a revival period of French Provincial and yours appears to be around 1920's.................. to my eye anyway ;D

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 04:11:03 pm »
Tim is right. commonly known as louis the 16 th. better known as french provincial. those are great photo's. $250.00 to $450.00 Dollars.

superstarrman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 04:33:23 pm »
Thanks d&b and Tim. I am in Nashville. Do you know of a place that might by this? What should I expect to get from an antique shop? I am thinking it might be easier to list it on Craigslist. Also, the seat is like a raised floral but it is dirty. Is there a safe way to clean it?  Thanks Again.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 08:48:05 pm »
Agree with the others....it is FRENCH!

Wouldn't recommend cleaning in order to sell it.  The older it looks the better!  Most will reupholster!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

superstarrman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 09:34:56 pm »
Oh, okay. I will try and sell it as it is. Most of the French chairs I have seen are usually dark. Do you know what kind of wood this is and why this happens to be so light in color?

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 07:41:22 am »
can't be sure of the wood grain. it's under the finish.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 08:08:40 am »
Not sure of the wood...like D&b said.

During this time the woods changed from being totally dark and over bearing and did start bringing in some lighter colors.  Many people find this desirable.  It definitely shows up the design in the chair which so many times get lost in the dark wood coloring.  With today's interiors people have found that it is preferable to mix and match woods - many a designer would love to get their hands on this!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

superstarrman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 09:32:30 am »
Thanks for all the info so far. It is very helpful. Is there any significance in the carved wreath and drapery in the wood? A lot of the French furniture I am seeing has fruits or flowers.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 09:37:29 am »
Most of the French chairs I have seen are usually dark. Do you know what kind of wood this is and why this happens to be so light in color?

Superstar, you would have to remove the dust-cover on the bottom of the seat to determine the wood type, but I don’t think that is of any importance …… because they could have used several types of wood in constructing said. The finish on the chair appears to me to be an enamel paint or equivalent. If you look at photo #9 you will see where the 2 pieces were joined together and the stress cause by use and the weak joint resulted in that “crack line” in said finish .

Just my observation.

superstarrman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 10:11:33 am »
Thanks Cogar. I won't worry so much about the kind of wood. I am still a little interested in the carvings though. Also, would you say this a parlar chair? Sorry for all the questions but I am going to try and sell this soon and just want to have as much info as possible. I've really enjoyed the info I have learned from looking this furniture up and from the incredibly helpful comments the rest of the members here have given me. Thanks again Everyone.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 11:57:18 am »
as cogar mentioned it's a baked enamel. the ornament's are not dramatic nor should they be.