Author Topic: Strange Brass/Copper? Kerosene Lantern  (Read 2020 times)

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
Strange Brass/Copper? Kerosene Lantern
« on: October 22, 2010, 07:55:14 am »
Another item from FIL's storage unit.  This one took the brunt of the collapsing plaster.  I wiped it with a damp paper towel, and dug out plaster with a toothbrush.  Again, I don't know enough to figure out if it's brass or copper.

This pic is blurry.  What I was trying to show is that inside the hole where the kerosene presumably goes is a wad of what I assume is the wick.  I can't figure out many things! -- how to get a fresh wick inside, how the wick is drawn out, etc.  I assume the top comes off in some way, but I don't want to torque it until I know for sure.  Any ideas?

This is the bottom.  There is a hole that runs all the way to the top of the lantern.  I presume it is designed this way to draw air?

The top.  It's marked "Pat O Nov 20 84" at the top edge of the circle.  Then below is "Mar".  In the center, larger than the other type, is "Rayo".  Below that is "24 96".  At the bottom edge of the circle is "Feb 28 05". 

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 07:56:56 am by CuriousCollector »

waywardangler

Re: Strange Brass/Copper? Kerosene Lantern
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 11:13:35 am »
The round knob on the side raises (or lowers) the wick.  I do not know what the bottom is but I doubt it is copper.  Copper dents very easily and I do not see any dents anywhere.  German silver also takes on this color through oxidation as it does have copper in it.  I would use some Simichrome, Flitz, or silver polish on the bottom of the bottom to see what this shines up to be.  Could be a real looker when shined up with a new glass chimney.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 08:58:05 pm »
Found a bit of a blurb here......

http://reviews.ebay.com/ABOUT-BRADLEY-amp-HUBBARD-METALWARE-amp-LAMPS-incl-RAYO_W0QQugidZ10000000003961269

"What is a RAYO Lamp?  Rayo Lamps were first patented in 1894 and were kerosene lamps that were actually made by Bradley & Hubbard. These lamps were made under contract with the Standard Oil Company (which today is known as Exxon). Apparently if you bought a certain number of gallons of kerosene, you got a free Rayo lamp. Standard Oil actually owned the trademark to the name "Rayo".  It has been written that the sole purpose of the Rayo lamp was to sell kerosene -- apparently it was quite a fuel eater.  While Bradley & Hubbard made these lamps primarily for Standard Oil, they also sold them for retail sale to many large retailers, who apparently paid royalties to Standard Oil for the use of the name Rayo."

Have yet to find one the same shape as yours.......yet!  ;)  Any chance that this might have fit 'into' something else?

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 02:55:47 am »
I'm pretty sure it is made of brass.

What you have is an Aladdin lamp “insert” (or whatever it is called), possibly out of a hanging lamp, wall lamp or a “large base” lamp.

Check the knob of the wick lifter, there should be a name on it.

They were made so one could remove them when filling with kerosene and/or if the lamp had a decorative glass/ceramic base. And/or if the base was made by a different supplier.

Like this lamp …..

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 01:13:26 pm »
Very interesting!  I will have to look around to see if there is a lamp it might fit into. 

Lots of good info.  Thanks, everyone!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 01:49:22 pm »
Great work Waywardangler, Sapphire and Cogar!

Hope you find the lamp!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!