Author Topic: Suggestions for best cleaners for....  (Read 4616 times)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Suggestions for best cleaners for....
« on: January 21, 2009, 01:22:39 pm »
Okay all you 'tiquers out there...what do you recommend for #1 the best way to maintain antique furniture (other than dusting and taking good care of it...the cleaners/polish/wax) and #2 the best way to clean silverware and silver holloware (other than the silver cloth/bags).  Thanks~
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: Suggestions for best cleaners for....
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 04:22:14 pm »
old english allows the wood to breath. spray wax's are a no no. they have a tendency to gum up the wood.

Tarn- X is great for silver.but pay attention to the directions.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 06:20:18 pm »
What about Murphy's Oil Soap?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 07:13:26 pm »
Murphy's is ok for paneling. it won't put anything back in too the wood. old english come's in dark scratch cover & clear for light wood.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 03:42:13 pm »
Thanks D&b!  I have been using those products for years and just wanted to make sure there isn't anything else out there that I am missing.  I do like those products...well Tarn-x isn't my favorite to use....but....the best I found so far as well!   I guess I really started wondering when I got that new King Louis cabinet...want to keep that going for another 100+ years!

Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 04:01:21 pm »
I use just about any good furniture oil, Old English included. You want to keep the wood from drying out.. Murphy's is good for cleaning wood. Like kitchen cupboards that have that accumulated grime/dirt from years of cooking. I like Wright's for silver. It cleans and polishes.

The drawback is that none of them come with elbow grease. ;D

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 04:48:21 am »
I agree with D&B, use Old English. The "dark" one will work miracles on an old scuffed up piece of furniture. And don't forget, to maintain antique furniture in present day homes that are kept really warm with low humidity, one has to worry about the wood drying out extra quick ...... via the un-treated surfaces such as drawer bottoms, back sides and other "unseen" surfaces. If this happens the wood will start "cracking" and there is really no good way to repair it. So, if this is a concern, a light coat of the "clear" Old English every 4 or 6 years, whatever, will prevent it from happening. cheers

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 10:01:42 am »
Thank all of you.  Wow cogar, never really thought about the undersides of the drawers...really great tip!  Great tips.  Tim, where can you purchase elbow grease? Ha! 

amiga

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 03:45:59 am »
Can you give more details about "old english" is that the actual product name? Is it a specialty item or from local hardware?

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 09:58:27 am »
Yuck!!!  Tarn-X Stinks, makes my head spin  :o.  I tried Tarn-x on my silver it works but could not stand the smell of rotten eggs.  It may work well but Yuck!!!.  I did find a product called Metal - x or something like that. Not sure at work will have to see later what the name is.  Don't smell as bad and does a good job, but only use it on really bad pieces.  For the most part just some regular polish and lots of rubbing , q-tips and soft tooth brush is very useful too.  Always polish in a circular motion, to help bring out a good patina.  That is my metod of dealing with my silver from a Jr. point of view   ;D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 12:46:54 pm »
Amiga, Old English is the name of the product and it come in "Light wood" and "Dark wood".  Their site which usually offers a money-saving coupon is www.oldenglishpolish.com  Our den has 14' walls...paneled.  This works great on the nicks/dings that occurs due to rowdy kids.

amiga

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 03:27:10 am »
thanks I will check it out

amiga

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 03:33:12 am »
omg you are in america lol I am in australia so I still dont know where to get the oil ...doh

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 10:54:48 am »
To say the least...I don't know what products they sell there...and I am sure they have some fabulous ones. But if you really want Old English....you can mail order it...www.homesolutionsstore.com

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 05:35:37 pm »
As far as just cleaning silver goes , I've had excellent results with using Orvus Wa Paste & warm water (using anything from clean 100% cotton rags to cotton balls & swabs) .
It's important to rinse very well , after washing , with clean water (some will use distilled water) ;
then I like to rinse stuff with ethyl alcohol - I've found it really helps the silver to dry quickly .
Orvus Wa Paste is actually a mild veternary soap , commonly used by the pros in the 'smoke-damaged' business . It works like the dickens on cigarette/tobbacco smoke too .
*there's also the quick & dirty method for pure silver ONLY - 1 Tablespoon salt , 1 Tablespoon Baking Soda to each Qt. of hot water . Line a plastic or glass pan with aluminum foil , add liquid , add sterling silver object (firmly touching the foil) & the electo-chemical action removes tarnish VERY quickly*
The really old-timers used to save cigarette ashes & mix a light paste of water & a drop of soap -then they'd rub the sterling silver with their fingers , then rinse it - this is mildly abrasive, but it works !