Author Topic: Asian carved wooden screen and table  (Read 2053 times)

Jackson

• View Profile
Asian carved wooden screen and table
« on: May 15, 2009, 05:27:36 pm »
I have been trying to find something about these two pieces for a while.  They were left to me by a relative that traveled extensively.  I cannot find any marks or any other identifying features.  I do not know what kind of wood it is made of, but I suspect mahogany (it is very heavy.)

Has anyone seen anything like this before?  The screen is about 7 feet tall, 8 feet wide, and about 6 inches deep.  The table is about 5 feet long and 3 feet wide.  It also has 6 matching carved ottomans that fit under the table.

Any information or research suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
Re: Asian carved wooden screen and table
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 06:48:15 pm »
Hello Jackson ..
I saw something sorta like this over in Korea ( it was new , though ) in the 1990's , and it was carved from camphor wood . It had been carved by a couple of local craftsmen about 20 miles South of Seoul , S. Korea .
I'm not saying yours is , or is not , of the same origin .

What struck me was the same nomenclature & shape of yours & the one I'd seen .

Cool piece , Jackson !

Jackson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 02:39:23 pm »
Thank you for taking the time to share your information.

It is of great debate about it's origin amongst our family.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 10:38:17 pm »
Jackson, going to refer this on to a Korean friend who specializes in design (Seoul)...see if they can be of some insight!

I am no expert...but the women's attire doesn't represent the traditional style of Hambok that Korean women wear.  Let's see what they say.  May be later next week when they get and respond but will let you know as soon as I hear....unless someone else steps up.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 10:45:25 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Jackson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 05:46:43 pm »
Thank you so much for passing the information on to other sources.  As I stated before, the history of these items have been hotly debated for some time, so it would be great, even to be able to rule out an area or country.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 08:28:11 pm »
Got a quick reply from my friend....

"Hi! KC,
They are Chinese pieces.  Also, if it is antique, it is late 19c - early 20c local design piece or later than that...  In China this period time, Ming style traditional reproductions are very popular.  Ming dynasty styles don't have carving furniture pieces.  They have very typical style because it was made by five special regions where were traditional Ming dynasty furniture origin. 
Also, the image of carving is old chinese people.  In general, Korean and Japanese don't carve people on their furniture.  If there is carving Korean piece, it will be with 10 luck symbols which are water, special mushroom, crane, dear, moon, sun, cloud, turtle, mountain, stone, fine tree.  Also, because of humidity, in Japan, it is hard to find carving wood furniture piece...
Thanks for asking me!  I enjoyed... "
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Jackson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 10:46:31 am »
KC: Many thanks to you and your friend.  You have given me a lot of information to help focus my research.