Author Topic: Please help me with this cabinet.  (Read 5157 times)

Keith

• View Profile
Please help me with this cabinet.
« on: June 20, 2009, 07:14:03 pm »
I have had this in the kitchen for several years.I got it from my Grandmother,after she passed away.I do not see any writing or marks,and would like to know about when it was made.

I would also like to refinish it,but do not want to mess it up.When i got it,it had been painted and i just cleaned it up a little and added a coat of paint.The hardware and all has been painted over,i'm guessing it did not come from the factory that way,but i would like to keep the original hardware.Could someone tell me the best way to go about refinishing it.
God bless

regularjoe2

• View Profile
Re: Please help me with this cabinet.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 07:53:29 pm »
Hi Keith ...

Looks like a Hoosier cabinet , common around the turn of the century .
They had several nomenclatures & were handy to have in the kitchen .

There were several types of wood used in these cabinets , some not so handsome as others .
You might consider finding out what type you've got , before you decide to 'strip' off the old finish ...perhaps yours was originally painted ?

I've included a few images .
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 07:58:50 pm by regularjoe2 »

Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 08:41:24 pm »
Thanks regularjoe2,the images do help.Do you think the hardware could also have come painted from the factory?
God bless

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 09:04:59 pm »
I wasn't on the planet yet , when they made alot of these , so I don't know for sure , Keith .

I would really guess that the hardware , unless it was made of wood , would NOT be painted .

You can , of course , test your hardware with a magnet to see if it's steel ... if so , proceed with gentle caution , in the event it's original hardware & chrome or nickle plated .

Even brass was sometimes plated too , so go easy on the paint-removal if you decide you're going to chemically strip your cabinet & hardware ( don't use heavy-duty abrasives/abraders ) .

It's all messy & stinky work , refinishing ..... if you do it right , the finish should last a lifetime ( depending on how 'hard' you use your cabinet .

If you're going to use white paint on it , I'd suggest a high quality Marine Spar varnish .

Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 09:41:31 pm »
Thanks again rj2.I do appreciate your help.

God bless,Keith
God bless

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 01:18:00 am »
I agree with regularjoe. From the design I think your cabinet was originally painted white from the factory and the hardware was probably plated.

To clean the hardware take it off the cabinet and place it all in a small tin container and then pour in just enough paint remover to cover it up and let it set for a couple hours, stirring them around every once in a while. Then take them out and with a stiff brushing they should shine right up. Repeat for pieces if necessary. And be careful with the paint remover, ..... READ THE DIRECTIONS.

WARNING, don't put anything plastic in the paint remover.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 05:34:32 am »
your Handle pull's are chrome. they will clean up. there should'nt be any primer under neith the paint, but if there is your in for some stiff opposition getting it clean.

Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 12:01:21 pm »
Thanks for that''heads up'' cogar and D&b.I'm going to try cleaning one of the pulls as cogar said and see what happens.

Keith
God bless

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 02:28:03 pm »
Talking about kitchen cabinets, a surprise for me when looking through my CP desk drawer for something and finding a couple pictures I had forgotten I had. I think the pictures of this unique kitchen cabinet are worth sharing.  It is the only one like it I ever seen or owned. I have no idea who made it or what it was called, so will just call it a “fold-away counter” kitchen cabinet.

It was all original, just the way I bought it.

Keith, please note the color white, hardware and the flour sifter.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 04:25:00 pm »
Keith - I forgot to mention : 1. -that if you'd like to see who manufactured your cabinet , you might check out the book : Hoosier Cabinets  by  Phillip D. Kennedy ... you may find an exact match there ( if that's important to you ) .
2. - replacement hardware is available still , for these cabinets ( some original & lots of reproductions , including manufacture tags , paper 'door charts' , flour bins & on & on ) .

Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 09:23:19 pm »
Thanks rj2.I did do a little looking and it looks to be a Sellers cabinet,at least i believe that's what it said.The one i found looked exactly like the one i have but the hardware was a little different.It said mid to late 20's.

Thanks,God bless,Keith
God bless

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2009, 09:57:33 pm »
That sounds about right , Keith ... good for you !

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 11:39:25 pm »
Cogar, loved the pic you posted.  Have seen some of these in older homes/cabins in the east and south US. 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!