Author Topic: Mammoth Bone Vase (Ivory) - Only 3 made? Need estimate  (Read 3328 times)

homeslice24

Mammoth Bone Vase (Ivory) - Only 3 made? Need estimate
« on: September 05, 2009, 11:52:28 am »
So i have a mammoth ivory tusk vase, it has been passed down generations and was bought from my mothers mothers husband who was an architect back in the day. Supposedly there were only 3 made and we had two of them. One was sold to a Russian museum in the 50's and we still have the other one. It has real gold and the bottom line is we are not sure of the value. I have posted some pictures, as you can see it is in Okay condition except the other side which has damage to the design.

wendy177

• View Profile
Re: Mammoth Bone Vase (Ivory) - Only 3 made? Need estimate
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 12:19:01 pm »
Oh my   What did the one sold to the Russian museum sell for??? Have you tried to contact them?? Honestly I could not even venture a guess on this one maybe someone else here could. I would definitely have an appraisal done for insurance purposes & insure it ASAP.

homeslice24

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 02:09:55 pm »
Oh my   What did the one sold to the Russian museum sell for??? Have you tried to contact them?? Honestly I could not even venture a guess on this one maybe someone else here could. I would definitely have an appraisal done for insurance purposes & insure it ASAP.

Well when my Grandmother was little, about 9 her mother sold it but she does not know how much she got for it. Im sure back then it wasn't that much of a deal. And you say we should insure it?

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 03:44:25 pm »
Worth is anyone's guess.  It appears to be oriental in design but again, that's just a guess.  Is it signed?  How long is it?  True value could probably only be assertained by an auction of people wanting it. 

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 04:07:56 pm »
Well it appears to be Elephant tusk. japanese I believe. if it is what it is. several thousand dollars should not be a problem.

homeslice24

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 05:12:49 pm »
Worth is anyone's guess.  It appears to be oriental in design but again, that's just a guess.  Is it signed?  How long is it?  True value could probably only be assertained by an auction of people wanting it. 

No it is not signed, Here are the measurements:

L=12.5 IN
Circumference = 16.5 IN
w= 5.5 IN

And yes it was bought in japan as far as i understand

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 07:23:58 pm »
I'd agree with D&b on the Elephant tusk , carving origin .

It's unusual that it is not signed , however .

Is there a hallmark on the gold ?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 08:10:15 pm »
Your best bet is to have it appraised by someone in the know (if you don't know what museum has it).

Should be worth quite a bit if in fact it can be verified it was from a mammoth! 

They used to have lots of museums in FL growing up with Mammoth remains due to the phosphate industry and mining around there.  Valuable stuff!!!!!!!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

homeslice24

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 08:58:51 pm »
I'd agree with D&b on the Elephant tusk , carving origin .

It's unusual that it is not signed , however .

Is there a hallmark on the gold ?

Where exactly would i find the hallmark on the gold (It's all over the place) i don't know what that is.

homeslice24

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 09:04:48 pm »
Your best bet is to have it appraised by someone in the know (if you don't know what museum has it).

Should be worth quite a bit if in fact it can be verified it was from a mammoth! 

They used to have lots of museums in FL growing up with Mammoth remains due to the phosphate industry and mining around there.  Valuable stuff!!!!!!!!!!

Yea we ended up going to a jewelry pawn shop place and they said that we should do some re-search online and then we can bring it to one of their affiliates who should know alot about it. Does it cost money for an appraise?

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 09:11:31 pm »
Yes a written appraisal is charged for but needed for insurance  and  if  a museum was interrested in one in the 50s I would guess it is of great value. you  could contact an auction house as they will give you an idea of value with no commitment to sell.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 09:21:27 pm »
Agree with Wendy....you need to speak with a reputable auction house (not your local pawn shop).

If it is real mammoth.....you have some $$$$ there!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

homeslice24

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 01:57:55 pm »
Agree with Wendy....you need to speak with a reputable auction house (not your local pawn shop).

If it is real mammoth.....you have some $$$$ there!

Ok sounds good, i have sent these pictures to the person i was talking about earlier, if i get a response then i will go from there if not then ill have to find an auction house and get an appraisal

homeslice24

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2009, 12:45:15 pm »
Aight so i sent the email and the guy did not want to help us but he did referred us to sothebys.com a NY auction house i will contact them and a few other places to get help