Author Topic: Louis era French one arm chair  (Read 4355 times)

luxetveritas

• View Profile
Louis era French one arm chair
« on: July 05, 2009, 12:08:24 pm »
Hi, I recently bought a chair at a garage sale for $400 and would like to know some more about it, including age and value. I believe it to be a Louis period piece, although I have never seen a chair like it. It is in great condition, but I can't find a makers mark. The chair seat is oblong and fairly wide. The back has a hand painted courting scene, and I believe all of the "carving work" is plaster molding? Not really sure. Anyway, any information members have would be so appreciated!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Louis era French one arm chair
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 01:21:30 pm »
Hey forum guys, isn't this a "bustle chair" designed for ladies with bustle dresses to be able to perch on rather than sitting? (I'm not an expert, just an enthusiast)
Antiqueaholic in recovery

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 01:53:10 pm »
Yes it is. manner's were very primpy & proper. in the 1860's 70's a lady could'nt stand up constantly, louis the 15th it would sell in the $600.00 Dollar range.

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 02:03:15 pm »
So this chair is from the Louis XV period? If so, I would have assumed its value would be far higher than simply $600. In addition, for some of you who are enthusiasts or experts, this chair really is an 18th century piece, correct? D&b antiques mentions 1860's and 70's, but Louis XV would be 1730's to 70's, or do you think this is a "remake" from the mid 19th? Thanks again for your help with my "bustle chair"!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 02:28:36 pm »
Totally agree....it is a "bustle-back" chair.  I am going to one up D&b and say it's value could be $800+ depending on condition and area of the country you are in.

It is amazing how much the sexes influenced furniture during the years with so many being designed for the use of women. Chairs were designed with low back and even backs that curved down on one side - this was designed to protect and allow for the extravagant hairstyles of the time. Even chairs were made that were open wood-work and no padding to be used during the times that hair was powdered to keep from "ruining" the cushions!  

The "bustle-back" chair was designed for ladies wearing hooped skirts. Due to the huge volume of skirting/material worn during this time, arm supports were set back from the front of the seats to accommodate this. (Even today a formal dining set has arms for the master chair and smaller or none for the lady of the house.)  You don't see bustle-back chairs as often as you do bustle benches/bustle bench seats.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 04:23:23 pm »
Thanks for the latter information! The woman I bought it from had it appraised at $3k, think it could be possible? I don't know enough about Louis period pieces. And again, is it an 18th century piece, or 19th? Thanks!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 06:27:02 pm »
I would have to doubt the Appraisal. $3,000.00 Dollars. the dust cover on the bottom look's to have been replaced & the upholstery,

That's plumbers strap on the bottom.which I assume is holding the interior of the chair in place.

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 07:10:30 pm »
Yeah, that is sort of what I was thinking. The metal binding is a replacement, and I assumed the upholstery was replaced. However, I still am curious, for one, about the age. 18th or 19th? And in addition, is the back plaster molded or something else? Thanks again for all of your help, this is a wonderful forum. I think I'll stay around for a while if that's okay with you all  ;)

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 10:42:59 pm »
Have you 'hit it' with a black light yet ( the moulding ) ?

This might reveal a clue .

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 09:28:18 am »
Oh, that's a great idea! I should have done that... :)